Discuss Since I switched from DSL to fiberoptic, I can't communicate. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rickster

DIY
Reaction score
I have a DSC POWER832 alarm with an LCD5501Z kepad and I'm 99% sure it's a PC5010 panel. And since I switched from DSL to Verizon FIOS fiberoptic, I can't communicate.

I've read everything online I can find about it with no success.

A) The alarm was not in use and the phone line was disconnected for years, ever since I went from DSL to Verizon FIOS fiberoptic Things had worked fine with DSL, but when connected to the phone line on Monday, I had trouble codes 3 and 4.

3, no connection to phone line
4, failure to communicate with, basically, the monitoring company**.

Moving the phone wire (from the alarm panel) from the abandoned DSL modem to a Y-connector with the phone jack got rid of 3., but the code 4 is still there 24 hours later. Is there an automatic periodic check-in that will try to call the monitoring company, be successful, and that will resolve the code 4?

FWIW, I didn't set it up so the alarm would seize the line, because I only use the alarm when I'm not home and the burglars in this lower-middle income n'hood are not the kind who would rush to interfere with the alarm's communicating. So I skipped the line seizure part and just ran heavy speaker wire from the alarm to the phone line, and it worked fine for years. During tests and mistakes it would notify the CS.

The FIOS ONT has jacks for the internet and L1 and L2, but surely L2 can't help me since I'm not paying for two lines.

What should I do?

B) Also, the Installer Code doesn't seem to be the default, 5010. Unless there is another default used sometimes. Is there any way I can figure out what it is without bothering the the alarm company? I need it to possibly make certain changes, especially to disable its attempts to communicate, if I'm unsuccessful in fixing problem A.

It's DSC but don't they all work about the same?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to Since I switched from DSL to fiberoptic, I can't communicate. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net