Discuss Single Electric Oven new installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MarcoR4

Hi everybody,

firstly let me say that i am completely ignorant about these things and that any help is really appreciated.

I just rented a house in which there is a Cata EOS60SS electric oven which does not work (it worked for a few minutes then stopped working).

The oven was in terrible hygienic condition and the landlord decided to pay for a replacement, so told me to buy a new one and i will be refunded.

So i just bought an Indesit one (Buy Indesit FIM21KBIXGB Single Electric Oven - Stainless Steel at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Built-in ovens, Built-in ovens.) which theoretically includes Installation and Recycling (of the old one) too.

Yesterday i have been called by Indesit to arrange the delivery/installation/recycling date and they told me that the oven comes with a plug and to make sure that it can be installed.

Now, i thought they would have come and install it easily and that no knowledge was needed on my part (i hoped so at least) but now i am in a very awkward situation as i really dont know anything about this.

I only know that the oven is separated from the cooker as they are at least 2 metres away (and is instead gas supplied) and that on the wall over the oven, there is a big red switch which turned on/off the oven (when it worked) and a socket with a smaller red switch close to it.

Is there a way to know if the oven is simply (and hopefully) connected to a normal plug in the back of the oven without having to take the oven out?

If there is no way, what should i do to know it? Unscrew it and take a look at the back of it?

Thanks in advance to you all.

Marco

Hi Marco, welcome to the forum.
According to the instructions that come with the oven "Comes with a 3-pin plug attached that goes into a socket in the wall"
Even the PDF data sheet just says the supply is "voltage: 230-240V ~ 50/60Hz maximum power absorbed 2250W-2400W"
http://www.indesit.co.uk/indesit/_pdf/manuals/19512162600_GB.pdf
It should just plug into a standard socket.
There are people on here who install these all the time, I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong.

you probably have a hard wired oven at present. there should be a connection unit behind it. this can easily be replaced with a single BS1363 socket. an electrician would have it done and tested in about 1 hour. as it happens, S-O-T is on my patch. be glad to sort it for you for the cost of a call-out plus materials.

Hi thanks for the replies, in your opinion will the people from Indesit at least able to take away the old oven?

Or they will just leave me the new oven there?

You said "Yesterday i have been called by Indesit to arrange the delivery/installation/recycling date and they told me that the oven comes with a plug and to make sure that it can be installed." Do you have a socket near to where the new oven is going? Can a cable & plug from the back of the oven get to it?
It's hard to answer your questions as I don't know there everything is fitted.

You could always take Tels offer up in post 3 and get him to look at it and sort it out so that the installation will go to plan. He knows his stuff.

I will check that in the afternoon but you think INdesit staff will at least be able to recycle the old oven and take it away, leaving the "hole" and the oven so that i can call telectix?

When are they coming?

PM Tel and see when he's free (just got an image from Are You Being Served)

i can be there tomorrow . see recent pm.

silence from OP. Obviously wanting something for nothing! lol

the silence is deafening.

Sorry, i am just waiting for my landord to decide how to proceed, if it was my house and my decision, i was already convinced ;)

as i said before, i'm available tomorrow or thursday ( when they deliver).just give me a bit of notice and i'll sort it for you.

There is a big chance that the Indesit "installers" will not be touching any hard-wired stuff. They are not electricians.

they're busy today on another job:

images (1).jpg

There is a big chance that the Indesit "installers" will not be touching any hard-wired stuff. They are not electricians.
And that's a risk that they won't take the old one away.
To the OP see if you can pull the cooker out a little and look down the back. If you see the cable go into the wall without a standard plug then you need an electrian in to disconnect your cooker. If landlord approves get telectrix in Wednesday afternoon to do that and fit socket out in place for your delivery and install on Thursday. Installers can then remove your old one for recycling without excuse.

Just to inform you, problem solved, today indesit staff were able to install the new oven and everything works fine!

Thanks Telectrix!

Reply to Single Electric Oven new installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net