Discuss Single Module Double Pole RCBO over 40 amps? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

phxl

-
Reaction score
With for example the Wylex NXHL1B Single Module DP range of RCBO's there is (at last) a sensible solution to RCD protection for all circuits individually, but only up to 40 amps. Is there a manufacturer doing 50 amp single module double pole rcbo's e.g for thirsty 10 kw or 11 kw large cookers and showers?

With for example the Wylex NXHL1B Single Module DP range of RCBO's there is (at last) a sensible solution to RCD protection for all circuits individually, but only up to 40 amps. Is there a manufacturer doing 50 amp single module double pole rcbo's e.g for thirsty 10 kw or 11 kw large cookers and showers?
New installation so not decided yet which board... so which ever one offers a 50 amp single module DP.

PS, avoid RCBOs with cookers if you can lol

I find they trip when the oven gets older, the elements deteriorate and trip the RCBOs, I have lost count of call outs over the years where the oven is the reason, Obviously on a TT there is no avoiding this, but I would wire an oven and a fridge as well to the regs so an RCBO or RCD wasn't required if I could, JMO.

^^ interesting

I find it’s washing machines and dish washers that cause aggro.

Just yesterday our aged washing machine tripped the rcbo ... so to empty it I ran an extension lead from our fridge freezer socket (dedicated circuit mcb) ... and emptied it ......

Anyway a cooker on a rcbo isn’t an issue ..

I find they trip when the oven gets older, the elements deteriorate and trip the RCBOs, I have lost count of call outs over the years where the oven is the reason, Obviously on a TT there is no avoiding this, but I would wire an oven and a fridge as well to the regs so an RCBO or RCD wasn't required if I could, JMO.
Wouldn't that be all the more reason to put a cooker on an RCBO, that way if it deteriorates it's disconnected plus there's no nuisance to other circuits?

P.s. Just noticed my opening thread should have read " Wylex NHXS1" not Wylex NHXL1; These RCBO’s include switched neutral as standard.

This stops the old Neutral to Earth fault causing problems when fault-tracing as it provides full separation of circuits.

They do not however retrofit onto the "balcony " style busbars that were common in Wylex.

The new Regulation, 536.4.203 (devices and components that are used in low voltage assemblies, such as consumer units, must only be those that have been declared suitable for that purpose by the manufacturer of the assembly.Or put another way. Only use manufacturer approved parts, don’t mix brands of devices, or control items. Using unapproved parts will invalidate manufacturer guarantees and may result in an unsafe installation...) (see: www.electrium.co.uk/news/how-to-choose-the-right-consumer-unit-and-what-to-put-in-it) rules out mixing makes and vintage within a dist board. That all devices fit a standard din rail yet fits to busbar vary so much has always been a source of danger from poor contact overheating etc.

The fact that the new single module DP rcbo's are so compact hopefully does not impede their reliability... particularly in the case of 32 and 40 amp ratings? They have not been around long enough to know yet so this injects an air of caution about using them.

Wouldn't that be all the more reason to put a cooker on an RCBO, that way if it deteriorates it's disconnected plus there's no nuisance to other circuits?
I don't like any appliances on RCBOs, my kitchen ring is on a breaker, the other house sockets on a RCBO, and I have a seperate circuit for the fridge as well lol

That's a new one - omit RCD protection because it may trip when the appliance deteriorates in years to come.

Plus how are you wiring the circuits to the appliances to obviate the need for RCD protection?

I have metal conduit in the wall down to my sockets from the floor above, I agree with Murdoch about washing machines etc, they nusience trip, as do most appliances, I don't like RCBOs on kitchen appliances, and won't change my mind ;)

That's a new one - omit RCD protection because it may trip when the appliance deteriorates in years to come.

Plus how are you wiring
the circuits to the appliances to obviate the need for RCD protection?

did it years ago, it isn't a regular thing, still going strong and with my method I can rewire the kitchen anytime without chasing any walls.

Cooker elements are renowned for causing RCDs to trip.
Generally, they are constructed using a metal tube containing a heating wire and insulated with Magnesium Oxide.
Magnesium Oxide is hygroscopic and often the elements are poorly sealed at the ends.
In addition some elements use an outer tube which is porous.
The Magnesium Oxide gets damp, causing a short to earth.

I must be lucky then; the only appliance we've had that trips an RCD is the steam iron, when is filled with too much water.

I think you lot need to get down to Currys, and treat yourselves to some new appliances :)

Reply to Single Module Double Pole RCBO over 40 amps? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock