Discuss Single Oven and ceramic hob wiring advice please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, bought a Hotpoint single oven and a ceramic hob to upgrade the kitchen. The hob is hardwired but the oven comes with a 13A fused plug.

The current wiring is 10mm cable from a 40A RCBO to a cooker switch above the worktops with a socket on it. Then 10mm cable from it to a cooker connection below the worktops.

Any advice on how to wire them in. I was thinking the hob will be fine wired into the cooker connection. Where would I plug the oven into though. Its an old style house so all walls are solid brick.

The plug is a fixed one that is molded together.

I was wanting to keep the socket on the cooker switch above the counter free as it is used a fair bit.

If I keep the plug on the oven does it need to be above the counter or could I have it where the cooker connection is?. I can only see 2 options.

1 would be to remove the plug and wire it in with the hob. However seen as it has a fused plug fitted to 13A I dont think this would be an answer

So other option would be to run a spur from the cooker connection under the counter and connect a single socket?.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi, Not a qualified electrician but I have done alot of reading up and studying. I was planning on becoming an electrician but at 32 its pretty hard to get an apprenticeship.

here is the setup as it stands.

10mm T&E from Consumer unit to cooker switch above worktop. This has a built in socket.

Then 10mm T&E from cooker switch to cooker connection under worktop.

This is on a 40A RCBO.

The hob has a cable prewired but with no plug. The oven is prewired with a 13A molded plug.

I was thinking running the hob into the cooker connection and then having a spur from the cooker connection using 2.5mm T&E to a single socket and plugging the oven into this?.

Only other thing I could think of was cutting the plug off the oven and wiring it into the cooker connection too but the fact it came prewired with a 13A plug and the cable does not look overly thick. The hob cable is at least twice as thick.

So I was thinking option 1. So at the cooker connection there will be the 10mm cable from the switch above the cooker, the hob and a 2.5mm.

At the end of the 2.5mm cable a single socket. Or I could put a 13A fused spur. I think cutting the plug off might affect the warranty though.

take the cooker connection unit off. replace back box witha a dual box. refit ccu one side and a 13A socket the other.

Hi, only problem is the wall is solid. It has a deep single metal box in the wall. Could I not just run a 2.5mm cable from the cooker connection into a surface mount single socket?. That way would just need to drill 2 holes to mount the socket. It will be under the worktop and not visible. I think I have a spare switched single socket lying around. I can get an unswitched socket but im sure the switched socket would do?. I was going to do a dual box as this is what is in place for the washing machine and tumble dryer and it looks neater.

Hi, only problem is the wall is solid. It has a deep single metal box in the wall. Could I not just run a 2.5mm cable from the cooker connection into a surface mount single socket?. That way would just need to drill 2 holes to mount the socket. It will be under the worktop and not visible. I think I have a spare switched single socket lying around. I can get an unswitched socket but im sure the switched socket would do?. I was going to do a dual box as this is what is in place for the washing machine and tumble dryer and it looks neater.

yes, you can. as the 2.5mm is protected from overload by the 13A fuse in the oven plug.

Just swop the existing connection unit with a twin connection unit, cut the plug off and connect it to the twin connection unit!! The oven is considered as a ''Fixed Load''. ....And Please no daft as well as wrong comments, about you're not allowed to chop a moulded plug off....

I agree with what has been posted by Tony and have edited my own
Single Oven and ceramic hob wiring advice please? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I can see that in a way we are doing the trade a dis service by making explanation
Single Oven and ceramic hob wiring advice please? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
No wonder there’s so many electricians looking for work.

while i can appreciate your point, tony, diy work will always go on, whether we like it or not. this thread is an example of the level of work that a diy-er can and should be able to perform. surely, it's better to advise if they are doing it correctly and also advise on getting an electrician involved if it's considered that the work is beyond the competence and capabilities of a home owner.

I would recommend getting a qualified electrician who knows what he's doing. If you can splash out and a new oven and ceramic hob why not get them installed safety and properly

I expect You'll find a small paragraph in the oven instructions that says 'this appliance must be fused at 13amps" or something like that...
therefore don't wire it directly into the connection unit or a twin unit, use either a socket or spur socket. I've experienced several warranty claims that have fallen foul to this subject.

while i can appreciate your point, tony, diy work will always go on, whether we like it or not. this thread is an example of the level of work that a diy-er can and should be able to perform. surely, it's better to advise if they are doing it correctly and also advise on getting an electrician involved if it's considered that the work is beyond the competence and capabilities of a home owner.

Why isn’t it in the DIY section then?

I’m sorry Tel but no way would I help DIY. I’ve never done domestic so it never affected me but with the state of your trade I’d be very reticent with advise.

It’s your bread and butter.

Why isn’t it in the DIY section then?

I’m sorry Tel but no way would I help DIY. I’ve never done domestic so it never affected me but with the state of your trade I’d be very reticent with advise.

It’s your bread and butter.

He can't afford butter tony, he keeps telling client how he would do it so they do it themselfs:D

take the cooker connection unit off. replace back box witha a dual box. refit ccu one side and a 13A socket the other.

Perfect.

A very salubrious solution there Tel. ;)

(same trick works for boiler controls - SFC + wireless stat receiver etc)

TBH, it's only 1 step above changing a socket front.

Reply to Single Oven and ceramic hob wiring advice please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock