Discuss Single ph to 3 ph Ramp conversion. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Patrick Cox

-
DIY
Reaction score
I am about to link an inverter to a ramp I bought from a 240/230v supply. In the control box which was wired for 415v , the transformer within has 400v 24v on a label can this be operated at a lower voltage to produce the same 24v system. I will post a pic if I can.

Single ph to 3 ph Ramp conversion. B02C1352-D271-418F-AACB-73613B1488A4 - EletriciansForums.net

Maybe it would have been advisable to have investigated the requirements before you purchase this equipment. just saying.

I am concerned, you are asking a basic question about a transformer but you are about to convert from 400v 3ph to 230v single phase using an inverter.
There are many pitfalls waiting for you and my worry is you don’t have a good enough knowledge of the control system.

I have had a lot of advice on going down this route and quite a few electricians have done this , the motor involved is 3 ph as discussed, and it can receive 220 to 415v , this can be done with an invertor , and the system contained at present and in the past uses a transformer to utilise sensor equipment that inhibits the ramp control should it be necessary.
I would have thought maybe someone had understood that, but maybe didn’t expand enough.

It’s a walk in the park for any experienced electrician that has been trained in machine control systems.
It will be over the heads of many sparks that only do domestic work.
Some industrial electricians can’t do this sort of panel conversion.
Please be careful who you choose to do this for you.
P.s. the transformer will have to be changed.

That’s great I thought that , yes There are quite a few around me locally that have done this , I am just jumping ahead so I can look one up somewhere. Thanks
Pat

Can I ask , moving on , I’m sure an electrician can answer this when he sees the system , but to gain knowledge up front , would the transformer be A.C. to DC 24v.
That question may seem out of my depth , but just looking for something ahead.

i thought u originally told us that it was a 3ph to single transformer
i think first you need to learn a bit about control circuits

I know what I said I maybe didn’t explain properly.
I have bought an inverter that works from a 230v single phase supply to a 3phase 230 v 3 phase supply on a motor to take either voltage from 220 - 415v . There is a transformer in it to control a sensor system based on 24v . I will need to change that , and that is what I’m asking , hope that clears everything up. I have grasped what I’m doing , but don’t worry , it’s being done properly by a qualified knowledgeable electrician . I am just trying to buy components to change upfront , it can be done !

It absolutely can be done, I wasn’t questioning that.
I am just trying to point out that this is out of the realms of many electricians.

It needs an engineer that understands
reconfiguring 3 phase multi voltage motors
Safety and interlock control best practice
Installing and configuring inverters

Ah well they are switching transformers 230v A.C. to 24 AC sorry terminology!

The control circuit will need a 24V supply, this will need to be fed from a permanent supply, not from the output of an inverter.

Many inverters have a 24v out for running switches for the digital inputs.
Not many have the required power output to run contactors and other equipment that you might need in the control panel.
The original wiring of the control will have some sort of fail safe for stopping the motor if overtraveled.
This will need to be used to drop the power to the nverter if not in safe position.

Your electrical engineer should be able to provide you with a wiring diagram for his proposed control system.
If you want to know any more, post the diagram.
There are many here with experience in the right field to give it a thumbs up or down.

When you say this is a ramp, I presume you mean a car ramp to work under.
Make no mistake, not doing this correctly could lead to serious injury or death.

Your electrical engineer should be able to provide you with a wiring diagram for his proposed control system.
If you want to know any more, post the diagram.
There are many here with experience in the right field to give it a thumbs up or down.

When you say this is a ramp, I presume you mean a car ramp to work under.
Make no mistake, not doing this correctly could lead to serious injury or death.

This is exactly why I am on here , I have also made contact with an previous installer of these ramps in original conditions.
Direct drives from whom I have purchased the inverter from (not yet received) have a back to wiring assistance.Here is the spec of the one I bought:
Here is spec from direct drives:

This model is a 30A 240V input with 240V 3 Phase 18.5A output and sensorless vector motor control for 200% torque from 0 RPM and thats required for car ramp applications,

Specifications
Attribute Value
Power Rating 4 kW
Phase 1
Supply Voltage 230 V
Current Rating 21 A
Output Frequency 0.1 → 400Hz
Overall Width 170mm
Overall Length 128mm
Overall Depth 180mm
Control Panel Yes
Field Bus Communication Type Profibus
IP Rating IP20

Reply to Single ph to 3 ph Ramp conversion. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock