Discuss Single phase 240v motor starter & overload with on/off switch wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping you all can help me wire up my single phase 240v induction motor. Can someone please explain or even better sketch out where the wires need to go, I have a fair idea already just want some good advice before I continue.

Switch is CK-5 10A 250v - SWITCH

Thanks in advance!

singlephasemotorstarter_wiring.jpg

Where is the motor controller? neither item you show looks capable of controlling an induction motor or certainly automatically switching the supply from each winding.

Hi,

Hoping you all can help me wire up my single phase 240v induction motor. Can someone please explain or even better sketch out where the wires need to go, I have a fair idea already just want some good advice before I continue.

Switch is CK-5 10A 250v - SWITCH

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 55591
You haven’t give us enough information. To start with how are you going to start the motor ( no start button shown ) I can tell you A1 and A2 is your coil on the contractor and on the e-stop button 1 and 3 is NO 2 and 4 is NC. On the contractor and overloads 95 and 96 is NC but the other 2 terminals on the overload is NO which you will need to start the motor, 95 and 96 is so a PLC Can moniter the overloads. That’s all I got till I know how your going to start this motor, which could be a PLC output or a start button. Need more info
[automerge]1580997142[/automerge]
Where is the motor controller? neither item you show looks capable of controlling an induction motor or certainly automatically switching the supply from each winding.

Mike the motor controller is shown and it’s the contractor and on the bottom is your overloads or overcurrent protection

Hi there Designfoundry and welcome to the forum. Without meaning to sound awkward from the get-go, we do have a general rule of not providing step-by-step guides for safety-critical work to people who are not industry professionals, and assembling the control gear of a significantly powerful motor from scratch could well be very safety-critical (you didn't mention the application). I appreciate it may well be perfectly well thought out, but there might be an interlock, or two-hand control, or something that could prevent an accident, that might get omitted and no-one wants you to chop your arm off because the stop button is not suitable for the purpose or whatever.

There is a start button on that assembly MW, you can't see it in the pic. From the link, it appears to be a no-volt release switch with start and stop buttons, as used on small woodworking machinery etc, but the OP's motor evidently wants more current than it will switch and needs overload protection. I cannot see an actual spec and it is vague about the NVR, it's just described as 'electromagnetic'.

Yes, it can be wired up to make it work. The button unit would provide the holding (not the contactor) and could be released by the O/L. If the text on the linked page is misleading and it's actually just two buttons, then it can also be wired up to make it work with the contactor doing the holding. But I think that's as far as I'm happy to go.

I dislike those switches, it is tiresome opening the flap to access the start button every time you need to switch the motor on. Users often get fed up and break the hinged stop mushroom part off. I would never consider them as an 'emergency stop button' for any application.

Reply to Single phase 240v motor starter & overload with on/off switch wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net