Discuss single phase motor contactor starter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The white ones determinenthe direction of the motor, pending where they connected to. Is there a capacitor in the line somewhere?
Both line and neutral of the motor connected direct to the overload, the spare terminal are to be creoo linked to the spare terminal on the contacots line side so that the sum of the current goes through all terminals of the overload. Does this make sense? Otherwise the overload wont trip in overload condition.

By the look of the photo the cap is integrated with the motor. I suspect the white cables are micro-switches - is the saw supposed to stop when it reaches its end travel? Does the motor run when you press and hold the green button?

The original pic looks like there's live and neutral in at the top, with links so the load is shared over two contacts for each. Same on the outgoing side.

By the look of the photo the cap is integrated with the motor. I suspect the white cables are micro-switches - is the saw supposed to stop when it reaches its end travel? Does the motor run when you press and hold the green button?

The original pic looks like there's live and neutral in at the top, with links so the load is shared over two contacts for each. Same on the outgoing side.

no it doesnt but it does if you press the contactor together i think there is a problem with the switching of the contactor

I'd say the 2 cables with black and white cores are to microswitches.
1 mounted at the hinge end, N/O till the saw head is lowered, to stop anyone cutting their arm off, red switch probably has (had) an arm on it and you can see the black cable going to it.
1 mounted at the other end N/C to stop the blade when the cut is finished, button switch operated by the stud on the angle bracket under the red label.

If the O.P doesn't understand the function of the machine safety controls he shouldn't be messing with it.

Looking at the old contactor /overload;
The incoming neutral should be in either of the left hand 2 contacts on the contactor and probably loops down to the coil underneath.
The incoming live should be in either of the top right hand terminals on the contactor, the righthand contact is operated by the manual start button.
The second from right contact is the live and hold contact.
The flying red lead to the overload is the control circuit thro the overload contact, stop switch then one microswitch returning via the white leads for convenience of wiring and back via the other microswitch to the contactor coil.
The brown and blue cables to the motor are probably reversed.
The other brown / blue joined with the motor will be a feed to the lubricant pump.

Figure the correct connections for the new contactor from that, usually helps if the coil has a neutral.

Last edited:
It don't look like you have fitted an e-stop, very naughty.
You will almost certainly have a shut off limit at the down end if he stroke that shuts the machin down, this will need to be wired in.
Now on one of my machines I would colour this red if it had a.c. control regardless of voltage, and this would be compliant.
So, the best thing you can do is trace the wires out.

Reply to single phase motor contactor starter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock