Discuss Single phase motor humming and heating up. in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, morning EF.

I was looking at a single phase motor yesterday attached to hydraulic pump for cardboard bailing machine that seems to be temerpemental with stop and starting and making humming sound.

I checked the contactor was working first and voltage was going to motor, I clamped the cable and was getting full current, with the motor not starting and humming and heating up very quickly. I just stopped and turned off so couldn't be used or touched.

I've just priced new motor and hydraulic pump and on reading further and thinking a little further, the capacitor is used as second phase to start up and then cuts off when running. I'm starting to think could the capacitor cause this and not even need new motor and pump.

Thx Trev.

Single phase motor  humming and heating up. 20220507_103047 - EletriciansForums.netSingle phase motor  humming and heating up. 20220507_103043 - EletriciansForums.netSingle phase motor  humming and heating up. 20220507_103024 - EletriciansForums.netfew pics.. well there we go, rating plate says 8.3A but when I clamp it, I'm getting 15 odd Amps which would suggest capacitor has kicked in, and with motor not starting not dropping down to the current rating.. hmmm..Single phase motor  humming and heating up. 20220505_123552 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Can you get the fan cover off or otherwise see if the motor is mechanically locked or stiff?

A failed capacitor might explain the effect if the motor is free enough to rotate.

Bog standard symptom of failed capacitor. Of course failed capacitor can mean failed windings too but hopefully it hasn't got that far.

Well new motor and hydraulic pump came today, swapped it over, but now the up/down controls are not working, it will only go down if I hold in the contactor... so much for simple.swap Single phase motor  humming and heating up. 20220513_134312 - EletriciansForums.netSingle phase motor  humming and heating up. 20220513_134253 - EletriciansForums.net

If you tell me the make and model of the machine I will research a manual for it.

Which is the compress bail direction - up or down?

I did a quick google to learn more about compactors and turned up a wiring diagram for one made by the Philadelphia Tramrail Company. It has two modes of operation viz 'start auto' and 'start reverse'. The first I think does a complete compress after initiation and then returns back to park cycle automatically whereas the second mode (I think) is a 'dead man's handle' control scheme only operating to reverse while a button is pressed and all safety interlocks are good. I am not saying the PTR product is how your bailer works but often products have similar features and control logic. You can see for example 2 solenoids for up and down hydraulic flow - REV SOL and FOR SOL.

So, some more information would be useful and a picture of the control pushes/switches.

Stationary Compactor Schematics (1/2) - https://parts.ptrco.com/product-p/stationary-schematics.htm

I believe this is a single phase one way rotation and the up and down is controlled by fluid link solenoid..

I think I might have the solenoid in the wrong hole at the top and need adaptors for the side entrance which is marked trv - 08.Single phase motor  humming and heating up. 20220513_165747 - EletriciansForums.net

The motor of your machine only rotates in one direction. The up/down is controlled by solenoid controlled hydraulic valves. There are not enough wires going to the motor terminal box to reverse its direction using the control panel.

We need a reference document for details on how it is designed, built and meant to work for further progress; we cannot dabble with machinery.

Last edited:
I got guy out from company who supplied the motor and he said there was a spring missing from the port which had valve saying tv-8.. who knows, working now for a fee plus millage.

I dont know enough about the hydraulics of the pump or any pump and the workings of these fluid directional valves... I wasnt there when he came out. Main thing is its sorted and was a hydraulic issue.

Reply to Single phase motor humming and heating up. in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock