Discuss Single phase to 3 phase conversion....? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I have a customer who has brought a couple of 3 phase machines for for his workshop at home. But only has single phase coming in.

Is there any sort of convertor that can be used to run these off the single phase ?

Thank you,

Sy

Either a single to three phase inverter or a three phase generator would be the options. Might get a bit expensive for a big load, what's the rating for the two machines?

do they just need 3p or 3p & N

I made a rotory inverter to run my lathe that needed 440v 3p&n seems to be working ok.

static converters are more common and will alow you to control the motor speed directly from them but not easy to get a 3p&n if thats whats required.

Thanks chaps..... not sure on ratings just yet, off to look at job on Saturday. Think inverter may sounds like the best solution. Just wanted a bit of info before hand so I don't look like a right plank.

What about calculating my loadings, say if the motor was rated at 3kW three phase, what single phase supply would I need to run the inverter ? Sorry if this sounds a bit basic and I'm sure there is a simple answer but I've never used an inverter before.

Many thanks

Sy

If they are dual voltage motors, IE 230V delta, 400V star the inverter is a good option. 230V 3ph you can get away with a single stage inverter, 400V you need a two stage, which is more expensive. You need to do some research.

Just been looking on line hopefully will be a dual motor, they are new machines so may be a chance, would make things simpler I think

Reply to Single phase to 3 phase conversion....? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net