Discuss Single Plug Socket replaced - PROBLEM!! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nick Marsden

Hi, i have replaced my single plug socket and am unsure of something. I know how the wiring works as in red is live, black is neutral and yellow/green is earth. There are usually two of each to go in the terminals?
There are 3 earth wires and i didnt notice if all three were in the previous sockets terminal as it was all tangled. i have put the new socket on with all three earth in the terminal but it was a right squeeze getting them in. Is this unusual to have 3 earth? please help as im worried its unsafe.

You will most likely find that one of them is a fly lead to the metal back box.
If you're that worried get it checked by a proper electrician

Yes one is to the metal back box, but is it normal to have another two earth coming up with the other wires?

Do you have 2 lives and 2 neutrals?
If yes then yes it is.
Where are you roughly?

yes two live and two neutral. in blackpool. i checked another single socket in another room and it only has 2 earth, doesnt have one to the metal backbox

The fly lead is not a must have Nick.
I have to say, if you're not comfortable with this stuff you shouldn't really be messing around with it mate

i have changed some before but never come across three earth in a single thats all. changed a double in the same room and had two of each. earth had one on the back box and one coming up with the rest. just stumped me when i saw a third in the single.

up sh*t creek Geordie Spark??

i have changed some before but never come across three earth in a single thats all. changed a double in the same room and had two of each. earth had one on the back box and one coming up with the rest. just stumped me when i saw a third in the single.

up sh*t creek Geordie Spark??
So on another socket you had one CPC (earth) coming from a cable and the other was a fly lead? This needs to be checked Nick and by someone who knows what they're doing.
Geordie's just ribbing you. Don't worry about it, he's harmless
Usually :)

That socket could, of course, be a spur but it wouldn't do any harm to have it checked out just to make sure.
I'd also get the circuit in question tested too. Electrical safety is usually cheaper and less traumatic than funerals.

Yes there was one on the back box and the other going into the terminal. connected it identically as per the old socket so shouldnt be an issue, i hope. as long as the three in the single socket is fine then all good. have you ever come across three earth in a single? reason im asking on here is i cant get in touch with an electrician till morning.

Yes, I've come across it many times. I've installed many a socket on a ring final and put the fly lead in. However, how do you KNOW you have maintained continuity of all conductors? How do you KNOW that the insulation resistance is high enough?
There are more questions I could ask you but in the interests of not boring you I won't.
I admire anyone who is prepared to have a go at most things but only someone with access to calibrated test equipment and the knowledge required to use it properly can answer those 2 above.
You can't be too safe with electricity mate.

No i cant answer those questions. i will get someone round tomorrow. but from what ive told you, its sounds ok?

No reason to worry about a fly lead or the lack of one from a box to a terminal on a socket Nick.

Thanks for your help its much appreciated. one last thing, should it be tough to get the three earth onto the terminal as it was a right bugger but i got there lol.
Future father inlaw is an electrical engineer and is coming tomorrow to have a look.

You probably didn't have the terminal bolt out far enough, usually the trickiest thing about it is holding the socket in such a way that the 3 stay where you want them till the bolt gets hold of them, It's something that I struggled with when I first started my apprenticeship. Once you get the hang of it you don't even think about it.

I had the bolt fully out and it was the angle i held it that was the problem haha. like i say i couldnt say for sure if all three were in the previous socket. would it be normal for one earth to be left out and just sit there in nothing?

No mate, if it's there it should be securely in a terminal

Hi, i have replaced my single plug socket and am unsure of something. I know how the wiring works as in red is live, black is neutral and yellow/green is earth. There are usually two of each to go in the terminals?
There are 3 earth wires and i didnt notice if all three were in the previous sockets terminal as it was all tangled. i have put the new socket on with all three earth in the terminal but it was a right squeeze getting them in. Is this unusual to have 3 earth? please help as im worried its unsafe.

Only PROBLEM I see here is that you are playing with things you know diddly squat about, leave things alone before you burn your house down or worse kill someone.

Reply to Single Plug Socket replaced - PROBLEM!! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock