Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Singles in a partition in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

estebandonde

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Guys,
I'm a bit rusty but I've just seen single cables installed in a stud partition used for sockets etc. I've never seen this done before but can someone confirm if this is ok?

I seem to remember that they should be double insulated (T&E) or single + mechainical such as conduit/trunking etc

or does the partition act as a mechainical protection???

cheers

L

londonlec

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way is that OK.

You are correct; it needs to be T+E or conduit.

E

estebandonde

Cheers guys, do you know if this is just bad practice or against the regs??

If is it against the regs does anyone know which one??

E

estebandonde

Been home for lunch :) and found my regs book, 521.10.1 states that "Non-sheathed cables for fixed wiring shall be enclosed in conduit, ducting or trunking. This requirement does not apply to a protective conductor complying with section 543

So no singles allowed in a stud partition unles in conduit, flexible conduit etc.

cheers all

Just an FYI, T&E are not double-insulated but insulated and sheathed. It is the sheath which forms the mechanical protection (as you pointed out), so without it the cable must be protected by conduit or trunking. :)

Reply to Singles in a partition in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom