Discuss Singles in mini-trunking in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparc

I have a run to a 9.5kW shower. Prefer not to disturb the ceiling (flat roof above) and am thinking about using mini-trunking round tops of walls, then down to shower.

Small mini-trunking would be great, but I know I'm going to have fun with 10mm T&E in small trunking - so I'm wondering whether I could use singles instead. I don't see any reason why not from the regs.

It's only about a 12m run, so to save cost I'm thinking of using some existing 10mm T&E I have - strip that down to get the L and N singles, then buy some 6mm CPC insulated single.

As far as I know there's no difference between the 10mm insulated conductor inside a piece 10mm T&E, and a 10mm single.

Anyone see any flaws in the plan to use mini-trunking for singles - or stripping T&E to get a single? Or should I bite the bullet and put the T&E through the ceiling?

(Cable is coming off a 40A mcb on 30mA RCD, by the way, and shower feed is nicely bonded up.)

Absolutely nothing wrong in using singles in mini trunking, just make sure you use a big enough one.

And there is noting wrong in stripping some T + E to run it in, though not sure why as you can run the T + E inside the trunking itself and do away with the hassle of stripping it and the need to buy 6mm G/Y singles. The only advantage is in singles you maybe able to use a smaller than 6mm CPC, so save cost on material.

Also if you use singles you would need to run that trunking from the CU along the entire length of the installation, which could be fiddly, whereas in the CU cupboard if you used T + E you could clip and when you enter the area where the trunking is to be used just enter the cable into it.

Many thanks, Malcolm. The thinking behind singles in mini-trunking was there are 4 90 degree turns, so I was thinking it would be easier than getting 10mm T&E to do that. Good point about need for trunking all the way from CU, but I'm thinking of clipping T&E from CU to 50W isolator pull switch, then singles in the mini-trunking from there to shower.

Many thanks, Malcolm. The thinking behind singles in mini-trunking was there are 4 90 degree turns, so I was thinking it would be easier than getting 10mm T&E to do that. Good point about need for trunking all the way from CU, but I'm thinking of clipping T&E from CU to 50W isolator pull switch, then singles in the mini-trunking from there to shower.

Hope that is a 50amp one lol.

If your doing this in trunking and singles you know you could get away with 6mm cable as that will give you 41amps

Presumably your planning to use MT2? Personally, If I was going down that route, I would just stick MT3/MT4 and do it in 10mm as I think your pretty close to the limit with 6mm (although I apprichate still within). Aslong as your firm with 10mm2, you'll get it to do as you wish.

Rich

Presumably your planning to use MT2? Personally, If I was going down that route, I would just stick MT3/MT4 and do it in 10mm as I think your pretty close to the limit with 6mm (although I apprichate still within). Aslong as your firm with 10mm2, you'll get it to do as you wish.

Rich

In this heat you're probably right, Rich! ... .putty in my hands ... still, I'd prefer mt2 to make the down section to shower as 'invisible' as possible.

Why not MT3 or 4 for the horizontal run and MT2 for the vertical run to the shower unit. You will be able to make the 90[SUP]o[/SUP] bends in 10mm[SUP]2[/SUP] T+E inside the larger trunking without to much difficulty.:)

well its over 10m in length ,do you need inspection section?????????? or is that just conduit. and with four 90 degree turns, i think that limits what size of trunking you use, im just picking this out from all the information ive took in last few years. could be off me rocker and full of it, but il take it like spark

I think the inspection requirement just applies to conduit. After all, with mini-trunking you can simply peel off the top to get inside.

how did you get on in the end? i've got a shower to do in trunking and i'm not happy bout it, dont like the idea of water/condesation running down a vertical drop of trunking into the shower, how doe it get made of is it okay?

how did you get on in the end? i've got a shower to do in trunking and i'm not happy bout it, dont like the idea of water/condesation running down a vertical drop of trunking into the shower, how doe it get made of is it okay?

The provided cable entry on showers is a channel designed to allow water to enter and drain safely....just make sure you use that and dont cut your own entry to suit.

Reply to Singles in mini-trunking in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net