Discuss Site cabin EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

tigerpaul

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi folks,

We have a site welfare cabin that needs an EICR. The cabin is powered by an onboard generator, which is connected to an earth electrode.
What is lowest acceptable resistance we are looking for when conducting an earth electrode test.

Thanks for any advice you can give, I have gone through BS7671 and IET GN3 and cant find the answer..

Paul

A bit more info:
The site cabin is a self contained construction site welfare unit, powered by an on board 6 kVA generator. The cabin is metallic in construction and sat on timber sleepers. The circuits inside are as usual, lights, few sockets, water heaters and general heaters, but also charging a battery.
Currently there is an electrode installed into the ground connected to the generator via a 35mm2 conductor.
When we undertake the EICR soon I requested that we also undertake an earth electrode test, and I wondered what reading would be deemed acceptable.

I also am wondering what this electrode is actually achieving, seeing as the fault path on any of the circuits will not actually leave the cabin itself??

The electrode is required to reference the neutral to earth by attaching the electrode to the generator chassis
The generator itself if over 10Kva should have the neutral and earthed linked at the windings making it TNS.
You need to reference the neutral to earth or you effectively have 2 line conductors

Reply to Site cabin EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net