Discuss size of earthing conductor from switched isolator to CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

n180

-
Reaction score
Domestic single phase supply, TNCS, 25mm tails.

From supply to Fused switched isolator : Earthing conductor is 16mm.

From isolator to CU : Earthing conductor downgraded to 6mm for what ever reason I don't know.

Is there something in the regs that says after an isolator the conductor can be downgraded to 6mm? As far as i'm aware it should be 16mm all the way to CU, with or without isolator in the middle.

Thanks.

If the main Earth doesn't need to go via the switch, then why change it, earth the switch from the MET.

Domestic single phase supply, TNCS, 25mm tails.

From supply to Fused switched isolator : Earthing conductor is 16mm.

From isolator to CU : Earthing conductor downgraded to 6mm for what ever reason I don't know.

Is there something in the regs that says after an isolator the conductor can be downgraded to 6mm? As far as i'm aware it should be 16mm all the way to CU, with or without isolator in the middle.

Thanks.
It’s a distribution circuit from the switch fuse isolator to the CU the earthing conductor stops at the isolator, it’s just a Cpc to the CU
Problem arises if the bonding conductors go to the CU as the cpc in the distribution circuit needs to act as a protective bonding conductor as well as a cpc.

You will need to work out the minimum csa for the protective conductor. From experience I'd be surprised of the 6mm wasn't adequate.

Thanks guys. Without working out the adiabatic calc i don't think 6mm is enough, besides as pointed out by ian, i've got the water bonding going to CU. So i'm going to save any doubts and headaches and just upgrade it to 16mm, can't go wrong then.

As TN-C-S there is a minimum for bonding but if (as Pete999 pointed out) the MET connections to water/gas/etc are not via the CU it is less of an issue, even if still a bit strange.
[automerge]1590787215[/automerge]
Ah, just missed your reply - agreed.

Thanks guys. Without working out the adiabatic calc i don't think 6mm is enough, besides as pointed out by ian, i've got the water bonding going to CU. So i'm going to save any doubts and headaches and just upgrade it to 16mm, can't go wrong then.

So extend the water bonding to the MET, which is the best place for it to connect, and carry out the calculations to establish whether 6mm is the correct size cpc or not.

MET (and isolator) is too far in a cupboard outside the building. I'd rather take 16mm in to CU than do the same amount of work to take 10mm water bonding out to MET and still be left with a 6mm from isolator (or do more work to upgrade 6mm as well, which customer won't be willing to pay for).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, but as you guys don't have all the site details i've decided what I believe to be the best course of action.

Reply to size of earthing conductor from switched isolator to CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock