Discuss size of fused spur for garage electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi gorgeous people.

I've just been looking at a garage to re-establish the lights in it and put up a couple of LED battens but I have come across an uncommon set up which is making me scratch my head a bit. Any comments would be welcome...

The garage is fed by 10m of swa 2.5mm from the lounge socket spur (which I'll come back to). When it gets to the garage it goes through (not off) a fused spur for the lights to a double socket with a washing machine and drying machine in use.

size of fused spur for garage electrics IMG_20201120_145956 - EletriciansForums.netsize of fused spur for garage electrics IMG_20201120_150002 - EletriciansForums.net

Now, the fused spur off the lounge socket is effectively a rewirable cut out as in the pics above and is something I've not come across before. With the SWA in one end and at the other end a cable from below the above socket going under the cut out cover to the terminals (which I will have to alter whatever as it is dangerous with it not fitting on properly due to the cable and more so as there's nothing retaining the cover so a kid could just pull it off and... eek!).

My main (or additional) concern is at the moment is it "looks" like it has a 30 amp fuse wire which will have to be downgraded to a 15. Question is, will it then meet the max demand for the shed... Also, are one of these even allowed now. I couldn't see a BS number on it.

size of fused spur for garage electrics {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I'd call that an ingenious way to adapt a swa, domestically, using available materials to create a dangerous situation.
Looks carp, too!

Hmmmmmmmm
I can't decide the best solution. I don't like it.
I can install the supply cable to the rewirable properly and put a wire seal on it for safety but then if the wire blows they will just cut it off. Plus I like the customer to be able to isolate the garage power from the house sockets in case of a fault, garage fire etc..
I can't get it to the ccu easily so a new circuit is probably out of the question. Ironically, last time I was here was to fix a fault tripping the rcd after some cowboy installed a new ccu without any testing at all (and for £500!!)
I can:
  1. Just wire the new lights into the existing light spur in the garage and be ignorant of the lounge spur (which makes me a cowboy yeehaa). Did I mention there was a live cable from the ceiling rose in the garage just dangling from the ceiling - with exposed conductors! (I removed it before anyone says anything).
  2. I can put an outside socket on spurred from the lounge socket and convert the swa to a plug outside rather than have the swa going along the lounge wall as presently is
  3. I can replace the rewirable with a switched fused spur next to the socket terminating the swa outside then in conduit to the new switch.
  4. I can quote for a dedicated circuit.
I'll decide after a brew me thinks...

That's an old lamp post cut out, TBH that needs replacing as they were prone to becoming brittle and cracking leaving exposed live parts.

Thats terrible, not even mounted the right way up and missing some terminal protection too!

In all seriousness the cut out is protected by the plug top 13a fuse currently, is this prone to blowing? If not I would definitely remove the lamp post cut out and opt for a non destructive job probably take the swa back to the outside into a wiska then run t&e in some D-line trunking run along the skirting to a switched spur by the socket, assuming that there is suitable RCD protection for that circuit and it's not already a spur.
Sy

Thats terrible, not even mounted the right way up and missing some terminal protection too!

In all seriousness the cut out is protected by the plug top 13a fuse currently, is this prone to blowing? If not I would definitely remove the lamp post cut out and opt for a non destructive job probably take the swa back to the outside into a wiska then run t&e in some D-line trunking run along the skirting to a switched spur by the socket, assuming that there is suitable RCD protection for that circuit and it's not already a spur.
Sy
Look closely those two plugs do not feed the cut out.

As per Westward that is supposed to have an HRC cartridge fuse, not fuse wire. Someone has just put wire between the fuse screws which will make a nasty splash if it goes and maybe spit some fire out of the vents.

Definitely needs removing for that and a dozen other reasons.

Sy
The cut out doesn't go to the plug - but goes into below the socket facia and hardwired in.
I've quoted her to remove the cutout and swa from the lounge, put an outside socket up and terminate the swa into a metal box on the outside wall with a plug out of it to plug into the outside socket. That way it is capped at 13a, it can be isolated from the sockets easily and looks better.
It is RCD protected btw although I will check the ring is good (as I guess the ccu installers didn't bother)

Sounds ok doesn't it? I can't go overboard as she only wanted a light putting up in the garage lol

Yes I saw it after @westward10 pointed it out and I put my glasses on. Yes sounds acceptable to me does she need the extra outside socket? You could just put a plug and flex along the skirting to an adaptable box with the swa only, it would save some money on the socket.

And totaly agree with @Lucien Nunes and @westward10 that cut out is absolutely lethal!

"If you'd told me it was an extra 20 quid to do it properly I'd have paid it...now I've got a huge bill for my child's funeral!"
If they won't pay, walk away...

Reply to size of fused spur for garage electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock