Discuss Sizing csa of old cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

VWWM 1

-
Reaction score
Hi Looking at an old 3036 board and 2 peak and off peak immersion supplies. The cable looks like it is in between a 1.5 and 2.5. It is fused with a 15 amp fusewire. I know some old cabling is imperial but was this a regular thing for a batch of cable in the 70/80s???

Hi Looking at an old 3036 board and 2 peak and off peak immersion supplies. The cable looks like it is in between a 1.5 and 2.5. It is fused with a 15 amp fusewire. I know some old cabling is imperial but was this a regular thing for a batch of cable in the 70/80s???
yep 1/044 and 3/029 for lighting, 3/036 for some loads 7/029 for sockets and ring mains as they were called in those days, cooker 7/044 anything above gets a bi difficult to explain.

Last edited:
Further to Petes explanation these cables would have been commonly used up to the 1970s, the 3/036 would be around 2mm in todays metric system and the 7/029 would be around 3mm. [Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone]. I still come across a lot of these cables still in service with stranded and tinned copper conductors and it tests out very well the vast majority of the time. Good old school British quality.

Further to Petes explanation these cables would have been commonly used up to the 1970s, the 3/036 would be around 2mm in todays metric system and the 7/029 would be around 3mm. [Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone]. I still come across a lot of these cables still in service with stranded and tinned copper conductors and it tests out very well the vast majority of the time. Good old school British quality.
Looks like it would be the 3/036. What are the cable calcs for these cables?
Are they ok on a 15 amp with a 3kw load usually?
around a 8m-10m cable run, clipped direct and buried in plaster the last 2m.
Thanks for the help.

Looks like it would be the 3/036. What are the cable calcs for these cables?
Are they ok on a 15 amp with a 3kw load usually?
around a 8m-10m cable run, clipped direct and buried in plaster the last 2m.
Thanks for the help.
Check out the table posted up by Westward 10 Mark, obviously the first number refers to the number of strands in the cables.

Thanks Guys. They certainly didnt over spec cable back then.
Another question. What is the expected ratio of the live conductors and the cpc's for the ring final? The cpc's for the 7/.029 twin and earth seems a higher end to end than usual, maybe because the lives are a bigger csa as well so they are lower than usual?

Thanks

You mentioned in the OP 1970s/80s. Apart from the beginning of the 1970s, cable installed in this era was metric.

Can you not get into a fitting somewhere to see how many strands the L&N cores have? If it is solid core and bigger than 1.0mm then it is metric. Early 2.5 had a 1.0 cpc... how does that compare with your numbers?

You mentioned in the OP 1970s/80s. Apart from the beginning of the 1970s, cable installed in this era was metric.

Can you not get into a fitting somewhere to see how many strands the L&N cores have? If it is solid core and bigger than 1.0mm then it is metric. Early 2.5 had a 1.0 cpc... how does that compare with your numbers?
Very true I skipped over the date if it is correct. My house was built in 1971 and has metric cable with the 2.5s incorporating 1.0 cpcs which could account for the high continuity readings. But if they are imperial the size difference between line and cpc is similar to a 2.5/1.0 cable. With metric the line is ×2.5 larger and imperial ×2.24 larger.
Using the above figures and giving an example continuity reading of 0.50 ohm for your line conductors you should get approximately for the cpcs;
Imperial, 0.50 × 2.24 = 1.12 ohm.
Metric 2.5/1.0, 0.50 × 2.5 = 1.25 ohm.
Metric 2.5/1.5, 0.50 × 1.67 = 0.84 ohm where 1.67 is applied.

Last edited:
Very true I skipped over the date if it is correct. My house was built in 1971 and has metric cable with the 2.5s incorporating 1.0 cpcs which could account for the high continuity readings. But if they are imperial the size difference between line and cpc is similar to a 2.5/1.0 cable. With metric the line is ×2.5 larger and imperial ×2.24 larger.
Using the above figures and giving an example continuity reading of 0.50 ohm for your line conductors you should get approximately for the cpcs;
Imperial, 0.50 × 2.24 = 1.12 ohm.
Metric 2.5/1.0, 0.50 × 2.5 = 1.25 ohm.
Metric 2.5/1.5, 0.50 × 1.67 = 0.84 ohm where 1.67 is applied.
I got 0.47 0.47 and 1.36 for my end to ends.

Attachments

• Sizing csa of old cable 93C8C0D9-CBF2-41F5-8AC6-6CAD56A5776F - EletriciansForums.net
    93C8C0D9-CBF2-41F5-8AC6-6CAD56A5776F.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Sizing csa of old cable 5814C854-B93E-4664-B8CD-10D342E36CA2 - EletriciansForums.net
    5814C854-B93E-4664-B8CD-10D342E36CA2.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 14
all solid cores and stranded 6mm

If the 2.5mm²-size cables are solid it's metric.
1.0mm²-size cables are solid in both metric and imperial (1/.044)
6.0mm²-size cables are stranded both in metric and imperial (7/.044)
but imperial will invariably be tinned and metric plain copper.

If the green/yellow sleeving is original it's probably mid 70's onwards.
The addition is artful.

The addition is artful.
Won'10mm 7/044 6mm be 7/036 ?

7/.036 = 4.6mm²
7/.044 = 6.9mm²

The addition is artful.
Cheers for the help chaps. Ha yes the shower pump is all in 6mm unsheathed fed via a nibbled out lid through a wizard sleeve of a closed ip grommit. terminals needed 5 full turns to tighten the top of the RCD.
Cable just lashed down behind the immersion tank to under the bath via a rusty pullcord.

Reply to Sizing csa of old cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock