Discuss SJIB/Select Technical Training Course 218 in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Luanshyaspark

Hi, has anyone on here got any information on this course, that'll allow me to study?
I've been off the tools for a few years & I'd like to get my approved grading card back. I've been studying for the 17th edition exam only to be told I need this one.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Peter. (Edinburgh, Scotland)

I got my approved back last year, I Telephoned the jib and they stated all I needed to do was the 17th edition and health and safety (ECS) and pay the fee. I was under the impression that the sjib aligned themselves with the JIB with regard to grading etc.

HTH

Thanks for the reply.
It would appear that here in Scotland the SJIB are aligned with SELECT too. The want the ECS & this course completed (& passed) before they'll issue an new grading card.
I received advice on here regarding the 17th edition exam & I've been doing all the mock tests, only to be told about this last week. I'll obviously do it, I just wondered if anyone knew what the format of the course, and the subsequent exam was.
Cheers,
Peter.

get a reg book tag it up and just test yourself on some question that's the best way

- - - Updated - - -

if you just sit exam its 45 pounds at a collage, don't waste your money doing the course

Just looked this up on the Select website, it looks like its the 17th edition exam under a different name, Just study the BGB and you should be fine.
Ben

[h=2]Course No. 218[/h]
[h=2]Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671 : 2008 (2011)[/h]
[h=3]Course Description[/h]This one-day course is recommended to electrical installation practitioners and others responsible for ensuring that electrical installations are installed and commissioned in accordance with current requirements. Note: The course does not cover the detailed requirements for inspection and testing of new and existing installations. Successful completion of the course is accepted by the SJIB for Grade card renewal.
[h=3]Course Aim[/h]To provide candidates with a knowledge and understanding of BS 7671: 2008 including the key changes incorporated in BS Amendment No 1: 2011. Comprehensive course notes are provided on the day.
[h=3]Course Content[/h]• Fundamental Requirements • Definitions • Assessment of General Characteristics • Protection for Safety • Selection & Erection of Equipment • Verification • Special Installation or Locations • Assessment of delegates knowledge (open-book exam)
[h=3]Presenters[/h]SELECT Technical staff or an independent consultant
[h=3]Funding[/h]Grant support of 25% will be available from the Electrical Engineering Training Foundation (EEFT) or may be available from your Local Enterprise Company

I think I may need to do the Select course (£180) to get the card up here. I'll know the BGB like the back of my hand by the time I do it (End of Feb).
Many thanks for replying.
Peter.

Hi Luanshyaspark, I done this course last summer, id been out the trade for a few years and my grade card had lapsed so like you need this to renew my card. I turned up on the day with my BGB and OSG and was told by the tutor "you dont need those"!. You get given a book containing all the updates from the 16th edition and the tutor takes you through it step by step. The test itself is 20 multiple choice questions taken from the book and you need 18 to pass. Its open book so its really a test of reading the question and navigating round the book. If your doing it at Bush house then the facilities are good, and free tea/coffee and lunch!

If you need any more advice let me know. Good luck

i just had a quick look and ive still got the work book. I could send it down to you if you want (provided you send it back ofcourse!!)

Reply to SJIB/Select Technical Training Course 218 in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net