Discuss SJiB Trade Card- Building inspector wont approve Garage conversion without one in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Homervanderjazz

Hi folks, well I have recently had a garage conversion done and the builder got an electrician to do the electrics and provide an electrical installation certificate which was fine. However when I showed all these details to the building inspector he said he needed a copy of the electricians SJIB trade card which I dont have. I have contacted the builder who has said he has passed my message on but that the electrician has not got back to him yet. Now I am left in limbo as I need the completion certificate from the building inspector. So I guess I need advice on what I should do next? How expensive is it to have another electrician provide this certificate with a copy of his trade card? Thanks for any help

In Scotland you can submit test certification "By Enquiry" or in other words by proof of qualification and calibration this means attaching a copy of the tester(s) calibration certificate(s) plus the front and back colour copies of the persons SJIB card that shows their picture NI number and qualifications.

As highlighted before some Scottish local authorities are demanding either Select or NiCEIC registration even although you are not legally obliged to do so because if this was the case they could be sued for stopping free trade. Yet again as I have said this needs to go to court to clear this matter up as I got pulled up by someone from Select who said you have to register so when I mentioned this goes against the Europan law of free trade I was told it was advisable to join.

In Scotland you can submit test certification "By Enquiry" or in other words by proof of qualification and calibration this means attaching a copy of the tester(s) calibration certificate(s) plus the front and back colour copies of the persons SJIB card that shows their picture NI number and qualifications.

As highlighted before some Scottish local authorities are demanding either Select or NiCEIC registration even although you are not legally obliged to do so because if this was the case they could be sued for stopping free trade. Yet again as I have said this needs to go to court to clear this matter up as I got pulled up by someone from Select who said you have to register so when I mentioned this goes against the Europan law of free trade I was told it was advisable to join.

It's not as hard as that- you either meet the standards of SELECT / NICEIC App Contractor or are registered with them

The problem is that if you as 32 councils to tell you what they want to see you get 45 different answers. The usual rule is that you need a PIR from a SELECT / NICEIC registered contractor- they have not updated their records to ask for an EICR yet.

I can agree with this yes the problem is that they are not consistant plus they are either misinformed or you can get an individual who justs wants to dig in for the sake of showing power plus there is the urban myth grows where the customer phones and says are you Part P registered and you have to spend 20 minutes explaining that we dont have this in Scotland and the direct quote from Select is we will never have it.

I can agree with this yes the problem is that they are not consistant plus they are either misinformed or you can get an individual who justs wants to dig in for the sake of showing power plus there is the urban myth grows where the customer phones and says are you Part P registered and you have to spend 20 minutes explaining that we dont have this in Scotland and the direct quote from Select is we will never have it.

If your are registered just say you fully meet the standards of Part P and are qualified and insured

In Scotland any work with a building warrant needs certification of some sort.if the electrician is in select or niceic then they should issue a certificate of construction and bs7671 certificates.problem is that all the local authorities have different ideas of what is acceptable even though it was brought in 2005.ifthe spark that did the work is not registered as a certifier then get one that is to carry out a pir/ecr on the install ,this is usually accepted by the local building control.
as a rule of thumb I certify my own work and no one elses
hope this point u in the right direction

Thanks for the input folks, how do I know if they have a SJIB trade card as when I am looking for electricians I find NICEIC registered electricians but there does not seem to be a mention of this card. Do all NICEIC registered electricians have the SJIB card? If anyone can help with this and is based in the Glasgow area please PM me.

You need a SELECT or NICIEC registered electrician

I am south of Glasgow, but it will be cheaper to use somoene local.
It's up to you to ensure you use a registered company, I suggest the SELECT find a contractor website facility.

Be aware many contractors won't sign off others work as a matter of principle

ASK for SJIB card should also have a CSCS holograph on it as for glasgow area the l.A.B.C all seem to have different ideas about what is correct as said before if you sent a question to all l.A.s then you would get 32 different answers or more depending who you spoke 2 as they probably couldnt agree how much sugar to put in their own tea

Right folks I have been in touch with the planning inspector and explained the situation, he has said the following-

"Any electrician who can provide SELECT or NICEIC forms can check the electrical work. Where you get a new electrician in, they may not want to sign off the wiring, as they have not installed it, but they can use a periodic test report for the garage instead, where they have checked that the installation is safe "

Reply to SJiB Trade Card- Building inspector wont approve Garage conversion without one in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock