Discuss Skills Shortage in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

This guy wants loads of competition between tradespeople. Why? Because without it, his business fails.

Without loads of competition, we find that we have enough work that we're not tempted to feed parasites like checkatrade, my builder, trust a trader and so on. And the likes of him no longer get rich on the back of others' hard work.

This guy wants loads of competition between tradespeople. Why? Because without it, his business fails.

Without loads of competition, we find that we have enough work that we're not tempted to feed parasites like checkatrade, my builder, trust a trader and so on. And the likes of him no longer get rich on the back of others' hard work.

We have a winner.

he wants to make it easier for EU sparks to come and drive the rates down again??

I don’t see rates ever coming down again even if a few Eastern Europe builders come over, they will ask about what the local going rates are and just charge accordingly

trade rates are sky high at the moment, some of the quotes I have seen in my area are eye watering

no amount of check a trade or my builder moaning about lack of new subscribers will make a jot of difference

Yeah and he forgot about we should have some immigrants to take over things like check-a-trade and undercut their ilk. Anyway considering the amount of people lolling around sucking on the state teat, get them up and working and trained or no hand-outs.

I don’t see rates ever coming down again even if a few Eastern Europe builders come over, they will ask about what the local going rates are and just charge accordingly

trade rates are sky high at the moment, some of the quotes I have seen in my area are eye watering

no amount of check a trade or my builder moaning about lack of new subscribers will make a jot of difference

You make a good point. Once people are used to charging a certain amount it will take a lot of pressure to then reduce it. What would be more likely would be rates stagnating as they did between 2004 and 2016.

Charging £300 a day now is only the equivalent of £180 in 2004.

You make a good point. Once people are used to charging a certain amount it will take a lot of pressure to then reduce it. What would be more likely would be rates stagnating as they did between 2004 and 2016.

Charging £300 a day now is only the equivalent of £180 in 2004.
Funny enough my day rate around the mid 00s was £170 a day, which back then was reasonably decent money

I can tell you now rates won’t stagnant, I speak to various sparks, wet pants, kitchen and bathroom fitters on a weekly basis and they all are putting there rates up to try to slow the volume of new work

Mark my words , it won’t be long before trades are quoting £1000 a day for Labour in the SE

Funny enough my day rate around the mid 00s was £170 a day, which back then was reasonably decent money

I can tell you now rates won’t stagnant, I speak to various sparks, wet pants, kitchen and bathroom fitters on a weekly basis and they all are putting there rates up to try to slow the volume of new work

Mark my words , it won’t be long before trades are quoting £1000 a day for Labour in the SE
That could be dangerous most ordinary folk will not spend or afford that kind of money. Dave down the pub or Kevin the kitchen fitter will snap up all the work, so be warned.

That could be dangerous most ordinary folk will not spend or afford that kind of money. Dave down the pub or Kevin the kitchen fitter will snap up all the work, so be warned.

even Dave and Kevin round my way are charging top dollar now

you seriously will not find even a bog standard wet pants in my area for less than £60-70ph cash in hand

if you want a fully vetted , accredited , fully insured person it’s near £150 ph

thems the rates in my area , it’s supply and demand

there is more work than the trades can handle so are simply cranking up their rate

can't get that sort of rate north of Luton. here a punter is gobsmacked if you quote over £30.hour. dunno about subbing rates. i'm out of that now except for occasional one-offs.

can't get that sort of rate north of Luton. here a punter is gobsmacked if you quote over £30.hour. dunno about subbing rates. i'm out of that now except for occasional one-offs.

you cant even get someone to cut your grass in my area for less than £30 an hour , and if you want hedges doing it’s more like £50 +

unskilled work is in the £30-50 range , skilled work people are getting eye watering sums

Reply to Skills Shortage in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net