CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss skirting trunking in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wayne

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

how does skirting trunking with sockets mounted on it get round the minimum height requirements???

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
D

Dinosaur

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it skirting trunking or dado trunking? Have not fitted this stuff a floor level - brittle plastic at floor level sounds suspect to me - too easy to damage. Always fitted it at dado height just above the work surface - computer desks etc.

W

wayne

definitely talking about skirting trunking not dado (which i have a lot to install over the coming weeks)

D

Dinosaur

I would have a carefull luck at the environment itis to be fitted in, if you think it might get easily damage and hence become a safety issue i would tackle the designer about it.

i have seen this stuff smashed by kids playing marbles - yes i am that old!

W

wayne

queried it at the time didnt get a satifactory answer then ,

T

tony.towa

Will not generally install this apart from running cables in. Did have one customer who insisted on having sockets put in it, in a suite of offices. Did the installation in the first office got some carpet tiles and put them infront of a socket and asked him to plug something in with a moulded plug.
He changed his mind and we ended up putting surface mount at a suitable height, linked by mini trunking to the skirting.

No way round the height issue as far as I can see, unless its a very big skirting!!!!!!

W

wattsup

So is skirting trunking illegal? Err no

jeremy

-
Mentor
Arms
i would say that skirting trunking is allowed but the installation of sockets into it would be disallowed

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms
The is one manufacturer who instead of mounting sockets within the trunking mounts them above but I cannot remember who it is at present.

S

Shakey

So is skirting trunking illegal? Err no
of course this all depends where you are installing it

heights of sockets comes under part M, and that only applies to domestic dwellings, like part p. So if it was in a school, hospital, etc etc then there wouldnt be a problem

T

tony.towa

Just to throw a spanner in the works, The Disability Discrimination Act now requires sockets and switches, in commercial and industrial environments, to be set a height accessible for persons with limited reach capabilities, as well as in new domestic situations.

W

wayne

cheers tony .
where does it say the regs have to comply?? on what grounds can i fail the installation upon testing ???

P

PAUL M

it comes under approved document M building regs.

T

tony.towa

Hi Wayne,

It is an interesting one because according to the regs the installation complies however when I have come across this situation I have pointed out the requirement and also the impracticality of the product and worked within their requirements. The carpet tile and moulded plus I have used a couple of times. the ideal situation is a written quote so that you have a copy of recommendations in writing.

On an existing installation there's not a lot can be done if they say they want the sockets in the trunking.

It's a great industry we work in isn't it?

Tony

W

wayne

i know they are wrong but what can i do !!!

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to skirting trunking in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom