Discuss Sky plus HDD problem...... in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
My parents Sky + has been showing a problem for a couple of weeks now. I had a look at it today.
It will not allow recording, nor viewing of previously recorded programs.
It comes up with a fault 06-0.
I have tried AV forum suggestions about resetting the box, force software upgrade etc, but no luck.

Everything I read suggests Sky will try to sell them a new box at circa £65, but they'd rather do without TBH.

Their box is also slow when changing channels, compared to my own, which is the same model of box.

Does anyone know if the HDD is simple to swap out, or could it be the box itself rather than the disk?

very easy to swap except you need some special software if you want to copy the old one (eg recorded programs etc) but the hdd will cost around if not more than £65 something like a wd blue or red

leesparky: We definitely get one feed from the dish, as watching the sky is possible. I didn't think about swapping over the cables.
The box is bringing up this fault code (06-0) which translates as a HDD fault.
Been into the engineers menu (services, 0, 0, 1, select) and used the rebuild feature and the system reset. Rebuild gives the message about not possible with diskless system, so ergo, HDD fault.
I've got a few HDD's knocking about. Anyone know the size and whether its a SATA or older style?

leesparky: We definitely get one feed from the dish, as watching the sky is possible. I didn't think about swapping over the cables.
Been into the engineers menu (services, 0, 0, 1, select) and used the rebuild feature and the system reset. Rebuild gives the message about not possible with diskless system, so ergo, HDD fault.
I've got a few HDD's knocking about. Anyone know the size and whether its a SATA or older style?
If you phone sky, tell them about the fault they will try charge you for a new box, tell them you would like to cancel your subscription, they will send an engineer out or a new box to keep you as a customer.

My late departed outlaws had similar fault. The mother-in-law had the thing pretty much all day, watching the old movies etc. They had a new box.

Frankly £65 is a good deal IMO, it has a years warranty.

Sata

Cheers for the replies.

My mum phoned Sky this morning, told them faulty box. The guy on the phone got her to go through the reset over the phone (what I did yesterday) and told her she had a faulty box.
They wanted £65 for an engineer call out and new box, or take out Sky Q for £10 more a month
She said no, wanted to cancel. A little bit to and fro and the guy eventually gave up trying.

She got through to cancellations, who have now offered her Sky Q, for £8 LESS than what she's paying now.
And a Q box never becomes yours apparently. If it fails, Sky will replace FOC...

Cheers for the replies.

My mum phoned Sky this morning, told them faulty box. The guy on the phone got her to go through the reset over the phone (what I did yesterday) and told her she had a faulty box.
They wanted £65 for an engineer call out and new box, or take out Sky Q for £10 more a month
She said no, wanted to cancel. A little bit to and fro and the guy eventually gave up trying.

She got through to cancellations, who have now offered her Sky Q, for £8 LESS than what she's paying now.
And a Q box never becomes yours apparently. If it fails, Sky will replace FOC...
That's a result :)

I've yet to hear of someone not getting a better deal from Sky by threatening to cancel. Now TV is the same, if you go through the the routes to cancel they generally offer you a good deal to stay with them.

Reply to Sky plus HDD problem...... in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock