Discuss Sky Q Installation???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Chris

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I am working on a house at the minute and i have been asked if i can wire in the sky cable as they are moving to sky.

Is sky Q as simple as taking a twin CT100 (Shotgun) cable from the sky dish to the sky box itself? Or does it require a phone line connection or anything else (except obviously power)

I haven't touched anything sky before so any advice is appreciated.

Mine has just the one twin cable from dish to main box. The connection from hub to main and main to mini is WiFi.

However, some might prefer a wired cat 5 or 6 connection, or if WiFi might be an issue in the property.

If I was rewiring I’d probably go for a wired connection. All bases covered then. See what the customer wants?”

Shotgun cable to the box and power from a BS1363 socket-outlet. The data is done over WiFi however they can be hardwired using datacables if required due to poor WiFi reception.

The sky Q boxes use a different type of connector and different LNB compared to the standard sky HD boxes.

I thought they were weatherproof F plugs?

How do they differ?

I’m not sure, but when we had sky Q installed in feb 2018, the engineer had to change the LNB and put different connectors on the box side of the twin cable, apparently the new LNB helps the box record the 3/6 channels and watch the 4/7 channel at the same time.

I’m not sure, but when we had sky Q installed in feb 2018, the engineer had to change the LNB and put different connectors on the box side of the twin cable, apparently the new LNB helps the box record the 3/6 channels and watch the 4/7 channel at the same time.

Yeah they have had a new LNB installed on the dish, im just going to throw the cable in for them.
Everyone i have spoken to so far has said that the F type connectors are still the same, ill need to have a look into it!

The 'F type connectors' are slightly different. Not sure if they are just a better termination than the old screw in ones, or are different. In any case, Sky bloke will deal with that.
Sky Q Installation???? IMG_3108.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

The F connectors are still standard. Sky Q needs a different LNB as the frequency range is much greater than a standard LNB, this means that it won't work with normal satellite distribution systems, and diplex/triplex wall plates can't be used as they will filter out some of the frequencies as SKY Q frequencies extend into the terrestrial TV bands.

I didn’t know this about the LNB.
When I extended my house, I had another shotgun cable installed to the new living room, and used an old sky box to give us tv in the old room.
I’m getting Q installed next week, so I can see that my spare tv is going to lose its signal when the LNB is changed.

I’m getting Q on a cheaper-than-what-I’m- paying-now price, so 1Tb box and doesn’t have the multi room functionality.

Does a skyQ install not include a new dish if I demand it? Just so my old dish can serve my spare box

You a ask sky for a “hybrid” LNB which allows sky Q and a standard sky box to work at the same time. One of my work colleagues requested this, a bit more expensive.

The sky Q F connector doesn’t fit on to my standard sky box, I found one the sky engineer dropped during my install, last year.

I didn’t know this about the LNB.
When I extended my house, I had another shotgun cable installed to the new living room, and used an old sky box to give us tv in the old room.
I’m getting Q installed next week, so I can see that my spare tv is going to lose its signal when the LNB is changed.

I’m getting Q on a cheaper-than-what-I’m- paying-now price, so 1Tb box and doesn’t have the multi room functionality.

Does a skyQ install not include a new dish if I demand it? Just so my old dish can serve my spare box

Ask the Sky man to install you a lovely new dish. And buy a mini box for your other room, you cheap skate! :)

Ask the Sky man to install you a lovely new dish. And buy a mini box for your other room, you cheap skate! :)

Ive already got a skyHD box in the other room (not sky+) and theres never been an aerial connection in that room, so the TV is not going to be any use without a second dish, or a hybrid LNB as suggested. Ill speak to the engineer when he comes on Wednesday, or source one myself. (ebay??)

Cheap skate? well, yes.... I am just a poor electrician, and saving money where I can. I've just been and picked up my brand new Citroen C4 Spacetourer because I cant afford a Mercedes like my neighbour.

Reply to Sky Q Installation???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock