Discuss Sleeving of 5 core cable for lighting circuit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kodr

Hi,
I have a technical query in regards colour sleeving of conductors in a multicore cable. Take a 5 core 2.5sqmm XLPE SWA cable with all white conductor insulation. I want to use this cable for lighting circuits in an industrial installation, can I sleeve the cores to they’re respective phase colours and the neutral to blue and earth to green/yellow etc ?

Is the acceptable practice in accordance with the IET Wiring Regulations Seventeenth Edition ?

I would also make sure the numbers are still visible in case of loss of sleeving and perhaps note the numbers on the installation certificate.

Hi,
I have a technical query in regards colour sleeving of conductors in a multicore cable. Take a 5 core 2.5sqmm XLPE SWA cable with all white conductor insulation. I want to use this cable for lighting circuits in an industrial installation, can I sleeve the cores to they’re respective phase colours and the neutral to blue and earth to green/yellow etc ?

Is the acceptable practice in accordance with the IET Wiring Regulations Seventeenth Edition ?

i would not sleeve conductors as grey or black. all "live" conductors should be sleeved red (sorry, brown FFS)

yes, it does but when using bn/bk/gy in a single phase situation should be sleeved brown, e.g. 3 core strappers between 2way switches

yes, it does but when using bn/bk/gy in a single phase situation should be sleeved brown, e.g. 3 core strappers between 2way switches

can I sleeve the cores to they’re respective phase colours

I think this part of the question was overlooked,someone hasn't been eating their carotts

whatever way, the sleeving will still be muddy, hard to see in poor light , stupid foreign harmonised ( with who?) daft phase colours.

Bring back Red/White and Blue I say

Don;t someone say Yellow,that was when things started getting silly

Just a thought,
I wonder if anyone knows "why" they came up with these silly colour schemes ( because I don't)

Was it because they are so inappropriate that no country had ever thought of using them, it was ideal for not having to chose between any country

Bring back Red/White and Blue I say

Don;t someone say Yellow,that was when things started getting silly
Just a thought,
I wonder if anyone knows "why" they came up with these silly colour schemes ( because I don't)

Was it because they are so inappropriate that no country had ever thought of using them, it was ideal for not having to chose between any country

Definition of Harmomisation is making something that no-one can understand,, then there won't be any confusion.

...stupid foreign harmonised ( with who?) daft phase colours.

Nobody was using the harmonised phase colours, however all of Europe minus the UK was using Blue for Neutral for fixed wiring, we had however, been using it in flexible cord for a number years. It was the UK harmonisation working group that proposed Brown, Black, Grey for the phases to CENELEC. They expected to have a fight on their hands and had a bargaining strategy planned, however the proposal was adopted with barely a whimper from the member countries representatives and no bargaining required (the only time, so far), despite every country having to change to the new code.

Last edited by a moderator:
1977? flaming youngster. i was just getting into VCR repairs as these were new fangled contraptions and as a TV repair company, we had to learn how to fix these as well.

Reply to Sleeving of 5 core cable for lighting circuit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock