Discuss Sleeving Tool recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

David Prosser

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I have one just like yours.

For the time and effort required for that, I changed completely to heat shrink sleeve.
I have a bench top printer that means I can identify all cables using printed numbers.
You can get heat shrink cartridges for most hand held label printers too.
When you have put the wires in the terminals, turn the numbers round to face you and go along with a hot air gun. Nice neat job.

Hi any one use a sleeving tool ? If so what one and would you buy it again if you lost it ?

I have this one 90110489 | Cable Sleeve Tool Plier Prong, For Use With Sleeves From 1.2 mm → 11.5 mm Diameter | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-sleeving-tools/0548259/

But find it a pain to use and just a bit carp. so if anyone regularly uses a different one I'd like your opinion on it's performance.
Do you use the lubricant with it as that makes a huge difference (insert joke (or anything else lubricated...) here!).

As an aside, a former BBC engineer told me a story about an issue they had with a few of their telecine units in the mid 80s. After a huge amount of head scratching, it turned out one of the people assembling them used a barrier cream on their hands, which over time created a slightly conductive layer on the hellerman sleeving. This led to faults with the video signal and a whole heap of work replacing the affected sleeving.

I would always go with heatshrink (unless ambiant temp too high, in which case silicone or glass fibre tube) but usually I was using it for covering joints and/or bare wire rather than as an ID.

So far I have not printed any, though my Brother printer apparently can do it, as you can buy short sleeves pre-printed witth numbers, letters and a few symbols (e.g earth) so if you just needed single identifiers (1/2/3/L/N/E for example) then no point in printing as faster and probably cheaper if you just had a box of them.

Down side is needing a hot-air gun and usually i had one of the RS ones intended for heatshrink. I have seen that as part of a battery powered tool range but I have no idea how good they are, endurance on battery, etc.

On occasion I have used an electric paint stripper but that is OTT and likely to melt stuff unless used with enormous case so I would not recommend it at all!

i use one of those chef's blowlamps ( a small pocket sized version ) for heathrink.

for cable markers i find that the teflon coated needles are easier than the tool shown my OP.

We use the Hellemann ones on the company mainly for making off belden cables, makes for a very nice finish. Not going to lie they don't come out of the toolbox often lol also they are affectionally known as something far more crude.....

youcan also get wrap roundself- adhesive markers.

Those things are the work of the devil, great when you first put them on, but the next time you next open the DB theyve all fallen off and are laying in the bottom of the DB.

I have the same sleeving tool from RS, I do find that the sleeves sometimes slide off which is a pita. There is another well known brand SES Sterling, which doesn't have the same angled tips which removes that problem, but they don't have the interchangeable bits for different size sleeves so you might need to carry a few different tools and they aren't cheap.

There are situations where I prefer heatshrink and situations where I prefer expanding sleeves so I don't consider one a substitute for the other. I prefer original Hellermann tools from the 1970s, the ones with solid diecast handles, which are more rigid and precise in action than the ones shown in the OP, and the prongs have a more user-friendly profile. Being solid metal they are heavy so I would not want to carry a selection around (prongs are not interchangeable). On the road, I only ever need the small tool, so I keep one in the toolbox along with SES A0, A1 and A2 sleeves which cover most of my applications. I find the SES pre-lubricated sleeves effective, rarely have them slip off the tool or fail to slide into position.

I did lose one tool (or rather, someone dropped it and broke a prong off) but I got a replacement amongst some tools from a retired engineer.

Last edited:
Thanks I'm not interested in marking the cables it just putting the sleeve on the end. Mostly for instrument cables but on occasion for tidying up crimped lugs.

Yes I do use the lubricant otherwise it a proper b4st4rd getting the prongs out. I just find the actual tool a pain. The individual prongs keep unscrewing and none of which are 25mm+ long which is the standard length of the most Hellerman sleeves.

I think I will try to find some of the SES ones and try their sleeving as well. Not to bothered about the need for more than one size as I'm very rarely more than about ten meters from my van.

Reply to Sleeving Tool recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock