Discuss Slight damage to SWA cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been digging and have nicked the outer sheathing of a 2.5mm SWA cable.
The protection and conductors are intact.

Would it please be possible to advise on how I can repair the outer sheathing by using heat shrink or any other suitable bonding agent to ensure no moisture flows in over time?

I will run an insulation resistance check before and after the repair.

Thanks
Kibz

If you’re absolutely sure there’s no damage to the inner cores, or the breaks in the armour strands, then wrap self-amalgamating tape around it.
It’s more waterproof than insulating tape.

For something that looks more professional… get an underground torpedo joint….
Don’t make a joint, but encase the damaged section within the torpedo and fill with resin as normal.

Have you got a photo? Some repairs are more suitable depending on severity of damage.

Hi Littlespark, Thats great thanks for your reply.

Where can I purchase the self-amalgamating tape and the torpedo joint kit from?
Attached are the pictures let me know what you think?

Attachments

• 20220325_114936.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220325_114944.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220325_115005.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 61
I have never seen a swa cable with red bedding below the armour so I can only assume the bedding is also damaged and that red is conductor insulation. You are going to need professional help.

I hope that’s not a concentric, with the red core showing.
Could be a DNO job.

Slightly more mangled than I thought at first… a little bit of tape isn’t going to help.

Did you not see the yellow warning tape?
Think you may well be correct there.

I’m not sure… certainly looks like a concentric, but the strands would be black??

Not entirely sure about that…
No I suspect you are correct mind you I can only find Chinese produced cables.

Last edited:
I thought the same but I'm swayed by fact he knows it's 2.5mm and says he can IR it, suggesting he has control of both ends of it.
The current IR results would be a good start.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments. The cable was meant to be buried at 600mm but the person who laid in in that particular section skimped out at laid it at less than 300mm and the warning tape wasn't event 150mm above the SWA cable.

This cable has not yet been connected or energised so was able to check the ident. It is a 2.5mm SWA cable and was able to cut a small piece from the slack end. After the repair I will ensure the cable is installed to 600mm depth.

The pictures will illustrate the black sheath, the armour strands. You then have a red insulation inner sheath and then the individual 3 conductors Black, Grey & Brown).

This cable will be used for lighting only and the 2.5mm cable was chosen due to the long run of cable taking voltage drop into consideration.

Please let me know if the repair is still feasible?

Thank you all for your replies

Attachments

• 20220325_151324.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220325_151354.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220325_151457.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220325_151513.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220325_151552.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 37

Reply to Slight damage to SWA cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net