Discuss Slightly unusual request in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a customer with elderly parents who have recently moved into a care home and now their house is being sold. It's an ex Council House.
Somewhere along the long winded selling process the buyers Solicitor has picked up that a new electric shower circuit was installed in 2013 [Nothing to do with me] and there is no certification or Part P notification. The elderly people 'can't remember' who did the job.
I had a quick look and it seems fine and fed via a 1990s MK board, RCD protected with a 40a MCB. [I'd say this board was installed as part of a rewiring programme when the house was still Council owned].
The solicitor wants verification that this circuit only is safe, not interested in the rest of the install ! So I think I'll have to do an EICR just for this one circuit with agreed Limitations, seems a bit like a sledgehammer to crack a nut ! But it's crossed my mind whether I could do a Minor Works with the individual circuit I&T as the job description - it would have the necessary test results but wouldn't be 6 pages long !
I'm sure many of you will disagree but thoughts and opinions are most welcome. :)

Is the house being sold to pay for their care? If it is I would say the council will be the beneficiaries or certainly the buyer and they should bear the cost of certificating it. Hard to say without knowing more.

I think the family are quite comfortably off so the sale is more that the house is surplus to requirements, although I'd imagine at least some of the sale funds will go towards their long term care. It just seems such a faff to do an EICR for one circuit.

Don't see the problem, EICR with Limitation stating this Report is applicable to the circuit on the attached schedule only. Providing main protective bonds are in place then no problem, 30 minutes work.
I agree.

niceic/elecsa are biggest market share so go on to NICEIC Online Certification: Notification Check - http://www.checkmynotification.com/ and enter the address / postcode, you may be able for just a couple of quid get the certificate showing it was done, often the notification has a cert number linked to it which can be used to trace a digital cert if it exists. it wouldnt be the first time a job has been put through the niceic system but building control have not logged it.
also if you ring up the scheme and explain the situation they can if inclined get up a copy of the certificate if it was done through the online portal and send a duplicate copy for a price, if you dont have a cert number they can search via address and get up all niceic/elecsa certs for that property.. i imagine napit are much the same. I only now they can get up certificates from the 'archive' as I know of a case where it was used in civil proceedings by a homeowner against a cowboy. the niceic were ordered to handover anything they had.

Why would they not be interested in the rest of the installation? As long as the bathroom is safe, there could be exposed wiring, broken switches and a picture frame nail through the RFC, but as long as the bathroom's ok??;)

This is why I titled the thread unusual, to me it highlights how little grasp of electrical safety and how to check it that these 'professionals' have when demanding such paperwork as part of a house sale. I've asked the customer to check this but the trouble is I expect when she asks the question they'll want a full EICR !
Although I fully accept that an EICR is the most relevant way to demonstrate in this instance that the shower circuit is safe through inspection,testing and recording results it also seems ridiculous filling out several pages full of 'LIM' and N/A.

^^^^
You could also try the local council Building Control web site. If the installer notified the shower circuit install, it will be registered. Just check the address.

I'm pretty certain there will be no official trace of the job,just like thousands of others. :)

I’d question where/why the solicitor has raised the request? Probably due to LA search so may well be a notification with no certificate. Ring up building control and ask them what’s needed?

Reply to Slightly unusual request in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock