Discuss Sloooooooow internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

topquark in my processes there seems to be loads of programmes running, how do you know what you need and dont????..

what is anti root kit scan??? quick scan??

Last edited:
topquark in my processes there seems to be loads of programmes running, how do you know what you need and dont????..

what is anti root kit scan??? quick scan??
Anti root kit scan is a process that try's to stop someone gaining privileged access to your computer (via hacking). It gets it's name from the ROOT userid on a linux system (which has the privilege to do pretty much anything on your system).

Start by going through control panel -> programs and features and removing anything you don't use. A lot of stuff gets autostarted by windoze and can slow the machine down. Can also save a lot of disk space.

i normally set the date back when i get a slow computer... ive seen people defragmenting too, but this takes ages to complete.., i rememer now what you saying and where to go..

cant stand slow computers, i turn them off. cheeeeeeers

I was talking about the firmware version on the router.
I've never had any problems with the firmware version on a camera. I did scr3we'd up the settings on a matrix in a shopping centre. That was a "fun" morning.
The version of the Pelco software on the matrix was older than the one on
my laptop. All the cause and effect were lost for the fire alarms interaction with the CCTV .....

If you are experiencing a progressive slowdown, check your wiring - an intermittent or a high resistance joint can cause a fault to be autoreported, in which case the speed is bufferred down at the DSLM (internet factory). If all internal (after Master Socket) is OK, whinge at Sky and BT. Getting an ISP to test this, or a line provider is next to impossible, although sustained whinging usually works. It does not take much to affect ADSL on our old phone network. PM m eif you have big struggles - a lot of my work is proving BT wrong and diagnosis of ADSL faults in commercial and home.

A couple of points.
I always reinstall my operating system at least once a year and at the same time make sure that my drivers are up to date. I really don't like the idea of these registry checkers as they are altering your registry which could well be the problem in the first place. Sort of 'dump the crap and start again' approach. Also reloads your processes.
Have you rebooted your router?
Is your router running the latest firmware?
You need to see what speed your router is getting. You would expect to get roughly 20% less at the pc. Type in 192.168.1.1 (I think that will be the ip address for your router) in the address bar then click on the DSL Sync bit. This will show you your speed at the router plus your line attenuation. Go round to a neighbour to interrogate their router and compare results. This will show if you have a line problem.
I have a slowish connection and decided to look into it. Luckily I have a friend who is a bt engineer. His first bit of advice was to try changing the cat 5 cable from the distribution box (most people don't have one but you may well have your router connected into an extension so the principle applies) to my master socket. By doing this with cat 55 cable and renewing my master my speed went from 2mbps to 3mbps. The next thing I did was to compare my line attenuation with a neighbours feed from the same box. My attenuation is 66dB, his 55dB indicating a problem with my line. My bt friend is going to check my terminations (salt air etc) and double up on my cables from the cab ( double the csa = .25 the resistance from rfc tests!) and we expect my speed to increase by another 50%.
Anti virus programs will slow down your pc.

Last edited:
Have you done a broadband speed test? I'm with sky as well, mine is just as bad, I get about 1.5mb download, where I'm supposed to be 'getting anything up to 20mb' once my year contract is up I'll be trying out virgin

With the recent onslaught release of online on-demand video services from BT, XBox, PlayStation Netflix, Lovefilm and Sky (yes even my skybox now wants to be connected to my router for SkyAnyTime online) etc I think everyones Internet is getting slower, especially for those like me that live out in the fields where 8M is the fastest I can get but 6M is the actual.

The other thing I have noticed is that we have used over 100gb of the 104gb hard drive
When a hard drive's free space is <10% of total capacity of the drive the system gets progressive slower and slo.....wer. Your need to clean-up the drive to remove any junk files, then some serious backing-up of the wanted files, before pruning the drive of files to an acceptable level (50% capacity?). Free clean-up utilities are available if you don't want to spend on Uniblue's offering, Google Crapcleaner or Glarys Utilities.

look at this web site Black Viper's Website it will tell you what in needed and what you can stop running.

don't use ms config. instead go control panel > administrative tools > component services > services. then right click each item and select properties. then choose the start up type you need.

Your first goal is to establish whether your bottleneck is external (ie. from the Router to your ISP) or inside your wireless network.

Google broadbandspeedchecker, go to the site and click "Start Speed Test".

Depending on where you are, you should get a return of 6-8Mbits/sec. If it's a lot lower than that (say 1-3 Mbits/sec) then you're definitely not getting your full service.

Wireless networks are rated at 11-54 Mbits/sec, so in theory even with several devices attached and browsing the web, your network should easily be able to keep up with the much slower flow of traffic from the external servers.

Theory doesn't equal practice though. If the broadband checker says you a decent service, then the wireless network will need reconfiguring to ensure network packets are being delivered with minimum latency.

That usually means considering switching off the DCHP Server on the router, and setting static IP addresses on each connected device. Note down the router's own static IP, and use the same subnet, incrementing the last number by 1 or 10.

Try opening a CMD window (DOS prompt) on your laptop and type: Ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router's IP address is).
You should get a reply along the lines of "Reply from 192.168.1.1 bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64"
That represents a healthy connection. Any of those figures start climbing into 120ms or TTL=256, and you've got a poor wireless connection to the Router.

Other things to check:
Any laptop/device running something silly like uTorrent and downloading large files; running YouTube vids or other streaming.
Postion of Router - not next to a thick stone wall; installed as high as possible in the room.

As to the laptop and all the stuff it's running.. AVG is OK, but I tend to go with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a *much* smaller footprint, works transparently without fuss, and is one less damn tray icon :smartass2:.

Black Viper's site is for the advanced user. If you're not sure what you're doing, I'd suggest you go through Control Panel/Uninstall Programs first, with a fine tooth comb.

G'luck

CS

Check to see if other houses nearby are using the same supplier as yourself if so try changing the channel on your router, this can help. As said before obviously make sure that you have no junk files on your pc stealing your internet speeds.

yes but each make of router sends out it wifi signal on slightly different frequencies and that is broken down into various channels its a easy change but can make all the difference to your system especially if you have unexpected drop outs or slow internet. Working in a small close of 6 houses and my client was getting downloads of approx 1.3 with constant loss of connection that was last week. After making the change he was getting 2.03 so well worth the effort. However on Friday upgraded now changed to BT Infinity and is now getting 37 so a very happy customer.

Reply to Sloooooooow internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net