Discuss SMA 4000TL inverter causing radio signal interferance to Economy 18 metered supply!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris abel

We have recently installed a system on a customers house that’s using a Sunny boy 4000TL and its causing the Economy 18 meter to disconnect the supply at random for a few minutes each day.

We know it’s the inverter that’s causing the interference because it only does it when the inverters switched on.

For those of you not familiar with E18 the economy, the E18 tariff is similar to the economy 7 and economy 10; it is typically used in homes that use direct electric storage heating. There are two supplies which come out of the meter,one of which provides a continuous supply of electricity. The other is called stored heat (E18) which will switch on and off at set times.

The switching of the meter controlled by FM radio signals.

The meter takes 3 readings.

1. Peak rate 13p kwh.

7.30amto 12.30pm

2. Off Peak 6.5p kwh.

12.30pm to 7.30am

3. Stored Heat. 7p per kwh.

12.30pm to 7.30am

9.30am to 4.30pm

6.30pm to 10.30pm

Economy 18 automatically switches the stored heat supply on and off, which causes an intermittent supply which is ok for storage heating, however we wanted to make sure that the home owners could use their air source heat pumps continuously so we installed a contactort o bridge the gaps using the permanent peak rate supply. The contactor is operated by a time clock to bridge the gaps in the economy 18 supply, by doing this ithas enabled us to run not just the heating but the whole house on the cheaper tariff.

The setup using the contactors is working well on 19 new homes that we have built in the last 18months all using the E18 supply, the only one that were having problems with isthe one that’s got PV!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as to how I can stop the inverter causing the E18 meter from disconnecting the stored heat E18 supply?

I need to get to the bottom of the problem because we are handing over two more new homes both with PV to customers within the next few weeks, with the E18 meter & contactor setup described above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to SMA 4000TL inverter causing radio signal interferance to Economy 18 metered supply!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net