Discuss SMA monitoring in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

moggy1968

I have recommended to a few customers that they download SMAs software for monitoring their systems. Unfortunately one customer has a Mac (silly person!) does anyone know if a download is available for the Mac?

MACs are the only one to have! its unbelievable this day and age all these software packages are in windows format only. i HATE windows non stop crashing and viruses, no such thing on a MAC!

MACs are the only one to have! its unbelievable this day and age all these software packages are in windows format only. i HATE windows non stop crashing and viruses, no such thing on a MAC!

as long as you don't mind having to pay for regular updates or have your equipment rendered obsolete, and not have access to third party apps because the main company wants to keep all the money to themselves!

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole!

as long as you don't mind having to pay for regular updates or have your equipment rendered obsolete, and not have access to third party apps because the main company wants to keep all the money to themselves!

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole!

Had mine 2 years not had to buy any updates? and its as good and fast as day i brought it, not crashed once. Not sure what third party apps your referring too?

Once you had MAC you never go back ;)

you'll find out!
apps was more Iphone than Mac to be fair.
I really object to the way Apple do business, so would never get any of their products, be it Iphone, mac or IPOD

To use the sunnywebportal you need to get a Sunny Webbox. Whilst this is a reasonable piece of kit it typically costs about 300-400 pounds which makes it twice the price of the Sunny Beam - I'm assuming the O/P was looking for a cheap/free solution!

Sma are not the best for monitoring (domestic)even the sunny beam is out of date. And they have delayed the new sunny view for over a year. Solar edge offer a free app and web base monitoring the kit is part of the standard inverter. Really can't believe how manufacturers haven't realised that monitoring is a key feature of inverters. With most inverters in lofts etc customers need the visual aid, after all after paying out that sort of money a nice monitor is all they have as proof of existence.

The Sunny Home Manger is a Sunny Web Box for less money (got that from the insuide track at SMA !!!) So buy that instead. Webboxes' are generally pretty reliable.

Not accourding to the technical guys at SMA :) - It was their (under the breath) advice!

We've fitted over 20, all working fine and some of them are over 9 hour round trip away ...

Because they are remote
1) we put the router on a 7 day timer - switches off for 15 minutes once every 7 days - sorts out internet connection problems
2) we out the webbixes on a 24 hour timer - switches of for 5 minutes every 14 hours - sorts out any connection / IP issues to the router.
3) we use static IP's for teh routers so that we can remotely dial in and staic ip's for the webboxes with NAT on the routers so that we can directly dial in.

Used to have lots of drop outs untill we adopted the above.

p.s. they are all the RS485 type NOT the bluetooth ones.

ah right, yes I can see that might sort them out, although the 2 we have seem to have entirely stopped working / frozen up, not sure why.

they were both bluetooth units though.

Reply to SMA monitoring in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock