Discuss SMA SB4000TL problem in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

holmes571

Hello all,

I installed an SMA SB4000TL and 16 JA Solar 250 watt panels yesterday as 1 string of 10 and 1 string of 6 as per sunny design 2. The inverter was showing 0v on second string so I rechecked for voltage on open string ends and was getting 214v dc. Plugged strings back in again and still showing 0v on second string but 360v on first string. I have fitted lots and lots of SMA inverters without any issues some I am assuming it is something I have missed or not done properly but does look like some sort of fault in the inverter. I am going back to property in the morning and will ring SMA technical from site but was wondering if anyone else had ever had problems like this with SMA stuff. Ten panel string is in input A and six panel string is input B as per sunny design as well.

Many thanks

Also check your connections all the way back to the inverter. If you've got a poorly crimped or applied connector you'll have zero voltage.

Will double check polarity in morning but from memory I checked that and it was ok. Connections must be good as at inverter I have voltage on end of sunclix connectors, just none showing on inverter display.

Sometimes 6 Panels wont produce enough to 'kick in' inverter hence why the string of ten is working and string of six isnt, You may need to make your strings 8 & 8, as 8 panels produce enough. This has solved similar problems for me in past! Hope it helps.

Have you definitely connected 10 on input A, 6 on input B
if they're both into input A you'll only see the voltage from one set of panels and the inverter display will display zero volts/current on the 2nd string ,as you have voltage on the string ends i would think this may be the problem as its an easy mistake to make especially if you've done lots of other installs with both strings into input A and worth double checking

Last edited:
Have you definitely connected 10 on input A, 6 on input B
if they're both into input A you'll only see the voltage from one set of panels and the inverter display will display zero volts/current on the 2nd string ,as you have voltage on the string ends i would think this may be the problem as its an easy mistake to make especially if you've done lots of other installs with both strings into input A and worth double checking

Easy one to miss.....

Another thing to try is to connect the smaller string of 6 into input A with the string of 10 disconnected ,this will tell you if there is a problem with input B

sorry wstevew already suggested this above

Last edited:

Reply to SMA SB4000TL problem in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net