Discuss Small domestic business drowning in admin in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I do mostly domestic work, tiny jobs to rewires. I'm inundated with work and desperately need to reduce the time I spend on admin so I can spend more time keeping up with demand. I was wondering how other people deal with quotes, invoices, certificates, notifications, etc. I currently do it all on the computer at weekends.

I was thinking that if I got a tablet / notebook and an internet dongle then I could get my assistant/mate to do it all in the van while we're driving between jobs.

Alternatively I was thinking of just getting a paper invoice book and some paper certificates and doing all the admin by hand onsite.

And what about quotes? Do you mainly do them verbally on the spot, by email, or what?

I'd be really grateful for any tips as I'm finding it a real struggle.

Thanks in advance!

You just need to get a system in place that works for you.
Admin takes time no matter how you do it, so you need to allow time in your business to do this.
If you are good on computers then you can set up databases and programs to automate data entry and cross referencing.
Drop down menus on forms are quicker than typing in values.
Simple quotes /certificates can be done on site on duplicating pads, you can get these preprinted if you search for NCR pad printing.
More complex quotes can be emailed so that you do not need to write out lots.
If you spend all weekend doing admin then you can forget things, try (if you find out how, let me know!) to get the admin done as soon as possible so it is fresh in the mind.
If you have someone in the van (not the best typing location while driving) then a simple tablet could at least record the information on standard templates.

Last option get a secretary who can translate scribbled notes on the back of smoke packets into business like communications!

As Richard has just said..there's no one 'right way'. It's whatever works for you, just make some time now to create the systems and you'll save a lot of time in the future. But....you have to be self disciplined to use them, otherwise you'll be back to square one and lost the time and effort you put in now.

On the accounting side of things try this

Free Online Accounting Software in the UK | Quick File

I find this very easy to use after having a little play with it with friends at first. Been using it for a year now and no problems with it at all, no spam e-mails, not a penny has come out of my pocket, send invoices and receipts by e-mail free of charge, take payment by debit card for a small fee, keep track of who has not paid, input all your client details so they are always available and you can use it on your mobile or tablet. It is so much better than e-mails and keeping a note book, this has rally saved me time and looks professional to business customers, by the way the account department personal love it, easy for them to use as well. Also shows you in your control panel on each invoice when the client has looked at the invoice and you can give them a password so they can look at all their accounting with yourself for that client only. End of year this comes in handy for them.

I use Intuit QuickBooks pro (as do others). Its you customer data base, quote centre, invoice centre, etc etc. Money well worth spending.

As long as you have Microsoft outlook you can email documents directly to your clients.

Hi all

I do mostly domestic work, tiny jobs to rewires. I'm inundated with work and desperately need to reduce the time I spend on admin so I can spend more time keeping up with demand. I was wondering how other people deal with quotes, invoices, certificates, notifications, etc. I currently do it all on the computer at weekends.

I was thinking that if I got a tablet / notebook and an internet dongle then I could get my assistant/mate to do it all in the van while we're driving between jobs.

Alternatively I was thinking of just getting a paper invoice book and some paper certificates and doing all the admin by hand onsite.

And what about quotes? Do you mainly do them verbally on the spot, by email, or what?

I'd be really grateful for any tips as I'm finding it a real struggle.

Thanks in advance!

Verbal will work for small jobs BUT you need written estimates/quotes for big jobs. If you pm me an email address I'll send you a couple of examples.

I use Quickbooks - costs around £80

Once setup it is really quick to produce invoices and quotes

Certs are done with NAPIT Desktop, but i know NICEIC do a very good iPAD/Iphone Version which speeds things up

I do Invoices every night and Certs when I get a chance - usually at the weekend

I cant wait till NAPIT pull their finger out and sort the IPAd/IPhone version out, this will aid in speeding paperwork up bigtime

If you can afford it get an admin apprentice

They are very cheap for the first year (less than £10 per week after government grants)
Then their more expensive - £5-6 per hour for the 2nd and 3rd year.

Put them to use through and get them to advertise your services and bring in work for you

Reply to Small domestic business drowning in admin in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net