Discuss Small IP rated cable connection... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Need some ideas please chaps. Ground workers have damaged a 12V cable running to a light - so I need to put a joint in to it. Its 12v DC so only 2 cores to worry about.

So far I've considered:

Wiska Shark - the 6A version

Wiska Shark.JPG

and

The TubeTee IP68 inline connector

TubeTee.jpg

Are there any others I could use? Space is tight!

Thanks

TubeT seems the cost effective measure, couple of through crimps and jobs done, got one of those in a machine been drenched by cooling fluid, its still going strong yrs later, the wiskas are just as good but you pay more for the same result.

Or just solder and heatshrink each joint and adhesive-lined heatshrink over the lot. I do so many hundreds of these for various reasons, if space were limited I would not think to do it any other way. I stagger the joints (in groups if there are a lot of cores) and infill the space between the ends of the sheaths with PVC tape to maintain a uniform external diameter so that there's no tendency to kink in the middle when flexed.

I've taken to using solder sleeves more and more in recent times. Very quick and easy especially if you're in the middle of nowhere, you just need a small butane pencil torch/soldering iron. They also come with hot-melt glue at both ends so they're water tight and it also provides some nominal strain relief. You can also use heat shrink sleeve over them afterwards.

Here's an example but I'm sure you'll find them much cheaper. | RS Pro Solder Sleeve Low-Density Polyethylene Blue, cable diameter 2.3mm → 4.5mm, 29.3mm sleeve length | - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solder-sleeves/8726286/

Reply to Small IP rated cable connection... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net