Discuss Small joint box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm about to do a kitchen refurbishment, where my client is buying socket faceplates, lighting etc, I know!

They have bought some under cabinet lighting under cabinet round light in cool white 6000k - https://led.me.uk/kitchen-lights?product_id=240, which only has a 75mm of lead. I had thought of using some butt connectors covered with heat shrink, to extend the flexes to the top of the wall cabinet, but not sure in case the things need replacing?

My alternate idea, was to use a small JB, mounted just above the fitting at the back of the wall unit on the inside. Smallest I can find is these ETERNA - CB5A - 5A Lighting Connector Box | CPC UK - http://cpc.farnell.com/eterna/cb5a/5a-lighting-connector-box/dp/LA04538?CMP=CPC-PLA

Apart from Bakelite 5a jb, anybody know of anything else suitable?

I can't quite seem to work out how you mount those lights? Are you/the site saying drill a 55mm hole in the cabinet at the bottom? Then terminate the singles in the cabinet? How will that work when I put my cups on the bottom shelf??? Sorry if this seems dumb, but I just can't see how it would work. And how will you contain the wires from the fitting?

I can see engineering innovation coming into this job as they haven't done you any favours. Not having seen the job could you mount the lights into an additional batten and provide your own channel for the extended singles or failing the go ahead for that, use the corner architrave trunking sold in the big shed for your singles extended?
23mm is a fair size recess and unless there is a double skin of shelf its gonna be messy - just be thankful it's 'side entry cables for your convenience', pictures along the way please!

I can't quite seem to work out how you mount those lights? Are you/the site saying drill a 55mm hole in the cabinet at the bottom? Then terminate the singles in the cabinet? How will that work when I put my cups on the bottom shelf??? Sorry if this seems dumb, but I just can't see how it would work. And how will you contain the wires from the fitting?

Yes they are the product of a designer who would be better suited shovelling snow in a blizzard,idiot design

I can see those contraptions are also supplied surface mounted(with a cup like thing) I think I would probably ask the customer to use those rather than the pathetic outcome of using them recessed down low(if they were in a top cupboard they would not be so stupid)
Some sticky trunking to make the joint butted up to the surface mount

I am not a fan of the new fangled push fit connections at all
I rate them as highly as that advertisement for them in the picture
I suppose they come with bits of Brown and Blue insulation to cover the obligatory bare copper that's showing :)

Spec says
  • Suitable for rigid & single strand copper wire
So no good for flex/ multi-strand cables then?

That's right they are push fit so only works with solid cores. Mine where both solid but what was nice was they had a small and a larger hole so mismatched gauge could be used.

I am not a fan of the new fangled push fit connections at all
I rate them as highly as that advertisement for them in the picture
I suppose they come with bits of Brown and Blue insulation to cover the obligatory bare copper that's showing :)

Absolute classic, isn't it ?

Thanks for the replies chaps, didn't realise the fitting pics don't show the complete product. The fittings are the standard fare, and come with a back box, so the fitting can be mounted surface. I'll plough through the other replies.

Will the wall cupboards have a pelmet? If so then add a white 10A bakerlite JB to the underside of the cupboard
I tend to fit this type of fitting at the back of the wall unit, i.e. adjacent to wall (not in the middle of wall unit), so no wires showing, especially with this carp product.

Reply to Small joint box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock