Discuss small plung circular saw in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have come to the stage where lifting floorboards by hand saw and bolster is hard work , i have used large circular saws but found them to clumsy are small plung circular saws any good for cutting tongue and groove floor boards for lifting ???

I've got a small £20 circular saw i use for cutting the tongue's out of floorboards i got from the nasty orange shed, cna set the depth an' all so allsgood.

Plunge saws tend to be expensive.

What's wrong with a Stanley knife for the tongue? Seen a guy once cut through the tongue with a circular and go straight through the hot an cold pipes at the same time!!

I just run the Stanley blade through it twice, takes about a minute , and that includes getting up to move !!!

Try it it's a lot cheaper , and it's pipe freindly too!!! Oh have you got a quick release button blade cause there horrible to do this with as it somehow releases!!!

Yeah all the time ! I've never once had a problem doing it this way! You dont really go that deep cause your blades at a 45 degree angle!

To check the depth I have in the past drilled a 10mm hole in an obscure place, normally the corner of the room to avoid most cables and pipes, then used a piece of coat hangar wire with a small 90 degree bend in it to drop through and then pull up flush against the bottom of the board. Mark it with a pen, withdraw and measure the depth of the board.

Most modern houses you can pretty much guarantee the depth of board however I have found boards up to 1 1/2 inches on older properties. Just set the circular saw a mm or so shallower and haven't hit a pipe or cable yet, if the cut isn't quite deep enough can then run along it with the good old Stanley knife.

you dont need a plunge saw for this richard....just set the depth of the blade to the same hight as board thicknes....then introduce the blade to the board gradually whilst the saw is running....this is how we do it and it works fine.....in fact you can use a fein as well to get the bit near skirting boards etc that the circular saw cant reach.....just go steady....you dont need a big saw for this kind of work either....
a 7 1/2" blade one is OK....we have an hitachi....

Yeah and you scatter the house in saw dust which you then have to tidy up from the house cause you have walked it through everywhere ! With two Stanley passes you get no dust!

Yeah and you scatter the house in saw dust which you then have to tidy up from the house cause you have walked it through everywhere ! With two Stanley passes you get no dust!
but if its an unocupied house....
Anyway....wonder if you can still get an `electricians skate`?...

You can use a Stanley on the tongues but what if you need to cut a board on a joist? Circular saw set to about 1mm short of the depth of the board is the best method I have found.

It never ocurred to me or any other sparky I know that you could de-tongue a floorboard with a stanley knife. Maybe Ill try it next time. I use a cordless circular saw but it drains a battery pretty quick, I'd prob buy a 240 one next time.

It never ocurred to me or any other sparky I know that you could de-tongue a floorboard with a stanley knife. Maybe Ill try it next time. I use a cordless circular saw but it drains a battery pretty quick, I'd prob buy a 240 one next time.
you may find a 230V one easier to get Dave...

Reply to small plung circular saw in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock