Discuss Small solar/battery system problem in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping someone can help with my problem.! A client of mine asked me to rig-up a little solar system to power a diaphragm air pump (230V/3A) for a cesspit.
Solar/low voltage isn't something that I'm that familiar with (I'm a sparks), would have much rather just laid some new armoured down to the pump!

I set up a 12V/300W solar panel, which feeds a voltage regulator which in turn is connected to 2 x 60aH 12V batteries. The batteries are wired in parallel, which then feed a 3000W pure sine wave inverter (12V - 230V). Was hoping this would be enough to run the air pump for most of the daylight hours, but seems to cut out after about 1.5 hours.

Will more batteries solve the problem do you think? I reckoned that the 2 batteries should have been enough, with the solar panel topping up the charge throughout the day.

Ant advice would be greatly appreciated.

230V at 3A is 690W before you look at losses, so your 300W panel will never be enough.
Also at night you need something to switch it off otherwise the batteries will be discharged and will be damaged.

Reply to Small solar/battery system problem in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, So I'm replacing a small old off grid with a new 7.5kw off grid, & being poor seek best value for my mppt, after long searches I find this...
Replies
Views
Greetings, everyone, After dedicating over a month to researching Solar PV systems, I'm nearly ready to make a decision. I owe my progress to...
Replies
Views
Hi. I want to open a mobile coffee shop. I'm finding it difficult to power it without going duel fuel. I'm thinking 4x110ah 12v agm leisure...
Replies
Views
Hope this all makes as much sense as i can make of it and my "problem" can get sorted via some guru on here... Just a quick background on myself...
Replies
Views
Hi - On our small vessel we have a 12v failry powerful motor to run the autopilot, where the power is supplied by the boat's battery bank. On an...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock