Discuss Smart Light Switch Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

koopsears

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I've bought a smart light switch to replace a GET dimmer switch and I'm having some issues. My spark wired in the original dimmer and I have a live, switched live and earth cable to the socket, which is wired to a live and 'switched' terminal.

The new smart switch has a standard layout of L, N and L1 etc, but I can't figure out the wiring. I've tried the live to L and switched live to N but no joy. Any ideas (images attached).

Many Thanks,

Kenny

Attachments

• 20191226_143554.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20191226_143600.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 21
Common problem.
There is no neutral at the switch position required for the smart switch to work.

Either needs rewired with a cable that contains live, switched live and neutral, or use a smart switch that doesn’t need a neutral to operate.

I’m having an issue similar but my home has neutral wires is any able to help me out the wires in the correct place

I have 3 neutrals in the white case

2 brown into l1
1 brown into com

image.jpgimage.jpg

@Corcor12 in your particular case, the 2 browns together are the permanent live, the single brown being the switched live. (Unless there’s 2 lights in this room, and it’s the end of the line feed)

All the neutrals in N but it’s a squeeze. Take a flying lead from the block terminal you’ve got there the N of the switch.

@Corcor12 in your particular case, the 2 browns together are the permanent live, the single brown being the switched live. (Unless there’s 2 lights in this room, and it’s the end of the line feed)

All the neutrals in N but it’s a squeeze. Take a flying lead from the block terminal you’ve got there the N of the switch.

thanks for getting back to me so am I right in understanding that I should do the following

oringinal com - into new L1
Original L1 - into new L
And all three N into new N

or am I mistaken
[automerge]1578172709[/automerge]
thanks for getting back to me so am I right in understanding that I should do the following

oringinal com - into new L1
Original L1 - into new L
And all three N into new N

or am I mistaken
Sorry I’ve just seen your private message thank you I will try this now

Reply to Smart Light Switch Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net