Discuss Smart lighting garden system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
got a job coming up, need to control 4 lots of lights on a garden, will have 4 zones aroind koi pond and decking etc...
First thought was a wise systemWise system
but customer wants an app for it on his phone. Anybody got suggestions for a decent wireless control system that has a phone app?
Pond area has excellent wifi coverage from main house. So connectivity is no issue.
Suggestions welcome

Have you installed the lighting yet? 've Hue lighting in my garden, only because I already had some in the house. Its bit expensive, but loads of apps for it. Its more of a diy approach IMO. But it works quite well for me.

There's quite a few products out there. If I was starting again, might of gone for some Collingwood stuff; but then you'll need a second mortgage.

Have you installed the lighting yet? 've Hue lighting in my garden, only because I already had some in the house. Its bit expensive, but loads of apps for it. Its more of a diy approach IMO. But it works quite well for me.

There's quite a few products out there. If I was starting again, might of gone for some Collingwood stuff; but then you'll need a second mortgage.
Customer has full rako set up in the house. Money no object.

I have used Lightwave RF to control 96 lights on about 6 zones. However after a few relay box failures i have used the relay box to bring in a contactor per zone. Its cheap as chips, is reliable, has app and been in a few years now. Client gets a remote and as long as the stuff is in reasonable range of the remote all is good. Client has several remotes and can switch them on from numerous rooms.

I have a sort of app for my lighting, but as i don't have an iPhone, and it would take me a liitle time to call it up and open it etc, I just use the "app" that came with the lighting...I believe it's called a "switch"?
You get off your a**e and press it, and so far it hasn't failed once...plus I never lose it as it's always just where I left it!
Naturally, I can't switch the lights on from Australia, so bit of a bummer there...but it suits me...
[automerge]1569148474[/automerge]
PS: Never been to OZ, ain't going ever, just saying, in case someone thought I was deliberately misleading members on here!

I have a sort of app for my lighting, but as i don't have an iPhone, and it would take me a liitle time to call it up and open it etc, I just use the "app" that came with the lighting...I believe it's called a "switch"?
You get off your a**e and press it, and so far it hasn't failed once...plus I never lose it as it's always just where I left it!

Bet your tv hasn't a remote, and are you still using tapes in your VCR? :)

I've used Light Symphony kit on a few projects now. Good kit, fairly simple/basic app but does the job. If you decide to go for it register a trade account at lightingforgardens and buy it through them, it's the cheapest way I found to get it. Other good kit would be RF Solutions, they have some real long range stuff

How about Loxone ? Just wire each lighting circuit and pump back to a central place where you can install the PLCs.
Phone app is free, you can add wireless motion sensors etc.
Whatever system you choose most of the hubs need a ethernet connection back to the router.

If they don't want to stick with Rako and add that outside then i'd recommend Lutron RA2 Select. Similar system, all easily set up from the app by yourself and then you can hand over control to the customer once you've finished.

As for the Rako playing up, it probably just needs programming properly, Rako do free training courses if you wanted to go down that route yourself. If not their technical team are great and would have get it back up and running.

If they already have Rako for the house then as someone else said put wireless Rako kit in an ip rated enclosure and add it to the existing network.

when I did my Rako training last year they were definitely developing a revised bridge for smartphone access that could also do the simulated occupancy and a bunch of stuff at same time.

if you haven‘t installed Rako before the training is free and over the two days you learn pretty much everything you need to get started.

I would have thought Loxone would be overkill to automate a couple of lights, another option would be Hamilton Mercury if not going down the Rako route.

Paul
[automerge]1569272248[/automerge]
Just saw the post about the Rako being flaky, is it a modern property with a lot of cellotex or steel in it Or old property with big thick stone walls?

If its Rako wireless and having issues then they do a wireless repeater (WRB100) that can be added to help improve the resilience of the network.

the Rako computer software can help identify where there issues.

Paul

Last edited:
How about Quinetic from TLC or Aurora AOne? The Aurora stuff uses more up to date tech (mesh Zigbee and a wired hub so you can use apps & switches) whereas the Quinetic stuff doesn't use a mesh network, but if the wifi coverage is good that it may not be a problem.

got a job coming up, need to control 4 lots of lights on a garden, will have 4 zones aroind koi pond and decking etc...
First thought was a wise systemWise system
but customer wants an app for it on his phone. Anybody got suggestions for a decent wireless control system that has a phone app?
Pond area has excellent wifi coverage from main house. So connectivity is no issue.
Suggestions welcome
I bought a cheap Zigbee interface to interface with my customer's Hue system, as they wanted some substantial RGBW ground lights to light up the back of their house. It connected straightaway with no issues and it allowed me to fit the customer's choice of lights, not limited to the Philips range of lights.

Reply to Smart lighting garden system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock