Discuss Smart lighting garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Baddegg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Got a customer whom I’m sorting exterior power to shed for and have now been asked if I can add exterior lighting, up lighters in flower beds and general garden lights.....was after any advice recommendations for set up with regards controlling the lot from phone app?....

If you have somewhere waterproof to house the units, CASAMBI do some great products. Need DALI dimmable luminaires however (CASAMBI sends message to luminaire via DALI, but communication to CASAMBI units is via bluetooth)

... was after any advice recommendations for set up with regards controlling the lot from phone app?....
Just be careful that "control from phone app" doesn't turn into "have to bin the lot because the system's obsolete" next year. You don't have to go far back to find numerous examples of "smart" stuff getting bricked because the vendor has pulled support (Revolv), "upgraded" stuff and your kit won't work with the upgraded stuff (Sonos), not updated the app to work with any phone you can currently buy, or just gone bust and the server that controls it has been switched off. Revolv hub owners found that out when the service was shut down, Google have a tendency to buy competitors and then shut down the bits they don't want to keep, ...
If things work locally then you can at least carry on using them as long as your phone doesn't break. But many things rely on a server "somewhere on the internet" and turn into a brick without it - as Revolv owners could testify (I'm not one, it's just the one that comes to mind first).
And that also brings me round to, if stuff needs the internet to work, it doesn't work when your internet connection is down.

And that's before we get into any of the security issues of having loads of stuff of often questionable software quality connected to the internet and waiting to be hacked.

CASAMBI sounds interesting, but I only got part way down the Why Casambi, Solution page before the twitches start - Bluethooth, masses of known vulnerabilities, some of which are not fixable in software (or at all due to being protocol issues); wireless mesh, self updating firmware, that's hard to pull off securely. Perhaps that just my IT background makes me more aware of security and software issues like these - but it is something everyone should be considering before clicking buy for that bit of no-label IoTat from an unknown far-east seller.

Reply to Smart lighting garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net