Discuss Smart Lightss - Moving a neutral, IFTT in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

j5wyatt

DIY
Reaction score
Thinking of going the following & wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't

I live in a UK House with the Lighting wired as loop in/out at ceiling rose & then a twin and earth taking a permanent line to switches & bringing a switch-live back (over the blue cable - marked with brown tape)

Current Setup In Ceiling Rose

Block 1 = Neutral from IN, OUT & Light Fixture
Block 2 = Line from IN OUT & Switch
Block 3 = "Neutral - marked with brown" from Switch & Line from & Light Fixture

Planned setup
Block 1 = Neutral from IN, OUT & WAGO1
WAGO 1 = Link to Block 1, Neutral from Smart Light Fixture & Smart Switch (Remove brown tape)
Block 2 = Line from IN OUT & WAGO2
WAGO 2 = Link to Block 2, Line from Smart Light Fixture & Smart Switch
Block 3 = Empty

This should give permanent power to Smart Light Fixture & Smart Switch, allowing me to use IFTT so that when Light Switch is toggled it will toggle light socket,

Is there any reason why this shouldn't be done, as long as I leave everything labeled & info by fuse board of which rooms are wired in this unusually way?

For clarity - the smart switch will not have anything connected on the load side, just a permanent power source.

TL;DR
IFTT Smart Light, Old House, No Extra Wires
Show a pic of the ceiling rose and smart switch connections.

the problems I can see with that setup are,

if the internet connection fails, you cant turn the lights on or off
they will be stuck in the state they are in with no method of changing.

many smart fittings will come on by default when power is supplied to them and obviously they go off when power is removed.

IFTT is web based and is not problem free, I use it to boil the kettle when i get up in the morning. it works 95% of the time.
not a problem for a device like that but a proper pain if its the hall light not coming on in the middle of the night.

also, if you have a short power cut in the middle of the night there is the possibility that ALL THE LIGHTS WILL COME ON when power is restored.

the problems I can see with that setup are,

if the internet connection fails, you cant turn the lights on or off
they will be stuck in the state they are in with no method of changing.

many smart fittings will come on by default when power is supplied to them and obviously they go off when power is removed.

IFTT is web based and is not problem free, I use it to boil the kettle when i get up in the morning. it works 95% of the time.
not a problem for a device like that but a proper pain if its the hall light not coming on in the middle of the night.

also, if you have a short power cut in the middle of the night there is the possibility that ALL THE LIGHTS WILL COME ON when power is restored.

James, thanks for your prompt reply

I guess the issue of default state would be the same for a properly wired smart switch (Twin&Earth In & Out)

The IFTT is all within 1 program (Smart Life, appose to full IFTT) & seams stable when testing with 2 pairs of smart sockets & google home.

I assume you see no obvious electrical hazard with the method (just possible reliability issues) - subject to it being done properly & by a competent person with skills to do the wiring & testing correctly?

I can’t see an electrical issue regarding wiring regs as long as the cables are correctly marked then you can use them as you see fit.
Except the earth cables!!

If it were me, I would still have my escape route lighting on normal switches, I.e landing and hall lights.

Reply to Smart Lightss - Moving a neutral, IFTT in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock