Discuss Smart Meters ............................................. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Murdoch, no need to post your links like that. Type smart meters, then highlight it. Then use the chain link button in the third box from the left on the top bar of the reply box and you're links look like this

Edit:err, maybe not.
Mods(sparkychick?) why aren't the links working correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way it could be forced is by making the fitting of none Smart meters illegal.
Tied with mandatory replacement of non Smart over say a 5 year period.

Just not going to happen.

Interesting on the link to note that Gassafe had monitored Smart gas meter work and

"Overall, smart meter installation is not causing too many issues, but installer competency must be a priority28% of installers in GSR’s study had failings in this area"

So that's 1/3rd :eek::eek:

Who's monitoring Electric Smart meter installs and what's the installer competency like.

Untill yesterday I was also Gassafe registered, now retired.
I wouldn't want to be the installer/s who eventually comes to fit Smart meters at my house if I'm forced to give in to them.
Every single aspect of their work will be watched and video'd.

Murdoch, no need to post your links like that. Type smart meters, then highlight it. Then use the chain link button in the third box from the left on the top bar of the reply box and you're links look like this

Edit:err, maybe not.
Mods(sparkychick?) why aren't the links working correctly?

You'd pasted the whole of Murdoch's link text, so it ended up looking something like this:-

[ URL = 'some text - the link' ] this [ /URL ]

I removed the ' and the text so it looked like this:-

[ URL = the link ] this [ /URL ]

Obviously without the spaces as I've only added them so it's not parsed by the BBCode processor.

You'd pasted the whole of Murdoch's link text, so it ended up looking something like this:-

[ URL = 'some text - the link' ] this [ /URL ]

I removed the ' and the text so it looked like this:-

[ URL = the link ] this [ /URL ]

Obviously without the spaces as I've only added them so it's not parsed by the BBCode processor.
had to look up almost every word on the last bit of that post. always thought parsed was a southern pouffs way of saying past.

As far as I am aware, nobody is forced into having a smart meter at the moment, they are ramping up the smet2 at present, but if a customer has no desire or interest at the moment it is stop smart on the account. Needless to say in many years ahead that might all that's available, watch this space.!!

This is about Smart Meters, not smart arses :D

PS I did try your instructions, but failed miserably.

Just had a call from the smart meter guys , trying to convince me that I will save money if I have one fitted , after about 15 minutes of me saying "no" he got board and just said I will log it down and hung up.:)
Here someone on you tube taking one apart

As far as I am aware, nobody is forced into having a smart meter at the moment
No, but several suppliers are pushing them hard, there are plenty of reports of people being told their existing meters are illegal or dangerous! I'm with SSE and have had a large number of phone calls, cards through the post, and emails trying to get me to agree to having smart meters fitted.

I have read their smart meter terms and conditions and do not accept/agree to them. One of the callers became very aggressive when I said I didn't want them fitted. I explained I didn't agree to the Ts&Cs but she wasn't happy!

If I said no the first 6 times I don't know what makes them think I'd say yes on the 7th. My existing meter works fine, and exactly matched the readings with a Fluke data logger over 7 days.

Reply to Smart Meters ............................................. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net