Discuss Smart switch installation in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Having successfully installed some smart sockets, I have caught the bug of converting to smart home.
My next project is to replace the 2 gang light switch in the hallway.
The current setup is as in the first photo below. One switch controls the hallway light and the other an exterior light
I am comparing various smart switch options but need some help in rewiring, hence my second photo.

Smart switch installation Present setu - EletriciansForums.net

Smart switch installation Screenshot 2021-01-14 110249 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Smart switch installation s-l1600 - EletriciansForums.net
    s-l1600.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 17
First, ensure that the backbox is deep enough for the switch to fit without crushing the wires. You may need to replace box with a 35mm deep one.
The brown in the top of the switch is your live feed in.
The two browns at the bottom are your switched lives.
Isolate the circuit before doing anything.
Trim the bare ends so that no copper shows outside of the switch terminals.

First, ensure that the backbox is deep enough for the switch to fit without crushing the wires. You may need to replace box with a 35mm deep one.
The brown in the top of the switch is your live feed in.
The two browns at the bottom are your switched lives.
Isolate the circuit before doing anything.
Trim the bare ends so that no copper shows outside of the switch terminals.
Many thanks for your reply. Just to elaborate, the live feed is the one with the bridge wire across the two switches. The smart switch diagram only shows one live connection. I guess the live feed connects to that. What then of the switched lives?..and three neutrals?

Neutrals stay in the connector as no connection shown on switch.
Switched lives in L1, L2.
If metal switch plate, connect earth conductor.

Thanks again! So that diagram has me really confused what with the 3 blue wires going to neutral.

But they go to the Light first, then to the Neutral.

Smart switch installation 1610634193417 - EletriciansForums.net

It could have been shown better.

View attachment 63754

View attachment 63754

I agree. It could have been shown better. Having looked at the diagram again I could see where the confusion could arise. So to recap... Live feed to L, L1 & L2 to respective lights. Leave the 3 connected neutral wires as is. Just need a deeper back box

Reply to Smart switch installation in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock