• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Smart switch need nuetral wire in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, trying to install a nuetral wire for a smart switch , I’ve drawn a diagram please see photos , could any one confirm If this would be safe, basically , want to pull a nuetral from the light fitting down to the switch , cut the wire behind the ceiling rose containing live nuetral and earth, then using a wire nut connect them all back up but add an additional neutral wire to run to the switch? Is this the correct method

Thanks

9549AB34-8AAF-4E49-96FC-A0F9E6CED764.jpeg

28457E10-20F4-45FD-B0F8-09A927AD8132.jpeg

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
The schematics you've provided need a bit more detail.

What is your proposal in cable choice to supply neutral?

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
i have got to give the op for trying to draw a pic how the thing works .
but looking at I will ask my gran child if she can do better ,
considering she is two .;)

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Don't use a fire nut, they've earnt that name for a reason.

It would be better to pull in a length of 3 core and earth if you require a neutral a switch position. Unless your wiring is in conduit?

No need to cut the neutral behind the rose as you will be able to terminate your neutral in the rose, you may just have to double up on one termination point.

I would advise consulting a local electrician to install and test for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The schematics you've provided need a bit more detail.

What is your proposal in cable choice to supply neutral?
Sorry I’m new to the electrical world , but trying to learn , so behind the ceiling rose their should be cables going in to the rose out to the next light and then one going to the switch , I would like to add a neutral from the wire going in containing earth live and neutral so cut it in half wire nut the live and the live and earth and earth back together and on the neutral use 3 wires connected by a wire nut a new set of wire which will run to the switch. Thanks

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
From your description of what you're suggesting doing, I'm not sure we should advise you. Plus forum rules negate us from giving step by step advice, which is I suspect is where it might lead.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
wire nut = fire nut. forget. wire nuts held the Titanic hull together. wagos are the way forward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So this is the ceiling rose , could I add a neutral into a neutral termination point doubling up? I don’t do it myself just curious as to what someone would do? And how much would someone charge roughly for a job like this?

Thanks all

7CC5FC3D-9699-4887-8133-29BAB04DDFBB.jpeg

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Have you purchased your Smart switch yet? Lightwave for example, produce smart switches that do not require a neutral.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
which part of manchester? i cover some of the area.

Reply to Smart switch need nuetral wire in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom