Discuss Smart Switch random question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

KTM2014

DIY
Reaction score
I have over 20 smart switches in my house. I have done them all myself and understand the process. Maybe this isn't the question but it is all I can think of...Is it possible to turn a single pole fan switch into a multi pole switch? Okay so the scenario is I have an office that has 1 switch for the light and 1 switch for the fan (ceiling fan/light combo). I have a universal switch that combines both the light and the fan switches into 1 switch (something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunter-Fan-and-Light-Dual-Slide-Preset-Switch-27183/100395277). This leaves a spot open in the box to put another switch. I am wanting to know if it is possible to use a smart switch in that open spot and tie into the same wires that were previously used for the fan switch only. My idea is when I go into my office I can set the level of the fan speed really easily and if I am in a meeting where I need to be on my webcam at all times then I can get on my phone and turn off the fan completely if I want to do so.

My thought would be that it is similar to plugging a tv into a smart plug. If the plug is off then the tv cannot be turned on until the plug is turned on. I have never attempted anything like this and am unsure if I will cause damage or if it will even work. I am asking you all hoping to get a response so that I can know that I will not damage anything before I attempt it.

Thank You!

I have over 20 smart switches in my house. I have done them all myself and understand the process. Maybe this isn't the question but it is all I can think of...Is it possible to turn a single pole fan switch into a multi pole switch? Okay so the scenario is I have an office that has 1 switch for the light and 1 switch for the fan (ceiling fan/light combo). I have a universal switch that combines both the light and the fan switches into 1 switch (something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunter-Fan-and-Light-Dual-Slide-Preset-Switch-27183/100395277). This leaves a spot open in the box to put another switch. I am wanting to know if it is possible to use a smart switch in that open spot and tie into the same wires that were previously used for the fan switch only. My idea is when I go into my office I can set the level of the fan speed really easily and if I am in a meeting where I need to be on my webcam at all times then I can get on my phone and turn off the fan completely if I want to do so.

My thought would be that it is similar to plugging a tv into a smart plug. If the plug is off then the tv cannot be turned on until the plug is turned on. I have never attempted anything like this and am unsure if I will cause damage or if it will even work. I am asking you all hoping to get a response so that I can know that I will not damage anything before I attempt it.

Thank You!
KTM2014 it sounds like you just want to add an over ride switch and I don’t see no reason that it would not work

Reply to Smart Switch random question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net