• Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net. We hope you find the information you are looking for. But if you don't manage to, please feel free to Register and ask a question yourself. You can delete your account at any time should you quickly find the answers to what you need.

Discuss Smart Switch wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi , I want to install a smart switch 2 gang 2 way switch in kitchen to replace the one already there which operates the lights and under cupboard lights. What wires would go into what connections on the smart switch.

01B5882B-C0FA-4DC3-945F-E1EC35B38304.jpeg

9AF8F15B-E841-4D9E-9012-93BB48A94BDF.jpeg

westward10

-
Staff member
TA
Arms Access
That switch will only function if you have a neutral present. You also need to reconfigure the existing two way switch connections as one switch will no longer be required. I am afraid you will need an electrician to see if this is possible.

littlespark

-
Arms Access
As above.
And looking at the photo of the old switch, the black cable there is NOT a neutral. There isn’t one unless it’s tucked in a connector in the back of the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your advice guys, money down the drain I guess cos am not gonna pay for electrician to sort or put a neutral wire in just for a voice activated light switch 👍🏼

littlespark

-
Arms Access
Have a shop around. There are smart switches that don't require a neutral, but its hit and miss if they work with every type of lamp.
Lightwaverf is one I know of...

Or go down the smart lamp route, such as Philips Hue

telectrix

-
Arms Access
if you're not going to be using 2 way switching, it maybe a simple job to re-purpose the 3 core/e cable to provide a N at the switch position without additional wiring.

Trending Threads

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom