Discuss Smart Thermostat Recomendation in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think there all pretty similar.
The concept of trying to control multiple rooms of differing specs with one stat is completely flawed anyway. Even if it the system is correctly balanced and TRVs fitted or whatever.

It wouldn’t make any difference to me if I had a nest, hive etc or a £15 hard wired room stat screwed to my wall.

Honeywell evohome is the only one I’ve fitted that makes any sense.

I think they are all much the same, I haven't installed the Honeywell but they look impressive.
The Salus range looks complicated, I had a bunch of samples to play with and even the IT guys struggled to help get it working.
Drayton are working on the Wiser range and making good inroads but are not there yet. Made in the UK.

Danfoss, don't bother.

Heatmiser, my favourite by far. UK manufacturer. Good app, flexible design allows wired and wireless to integrate together. Setup of the app and hub is painless and intuitive.

Just to note, i am slightly biased because I work with Heatmiser a lot but I have worked with all of the manufactures at some point. I have Heatmiser Neo controls in my house with no issues.

Just to add, no amount of smart control will save you money. The cost of the controls will outweigh any saving, payback will be years.

Better to get a cheapy and upgrade your boiler to weather compensation, install TRVs and service your boiler.

Still, we are geeks/engineers at heart and love gadgets and gizmos.

Interesting replies, I'd thought the Nest would be the leader of them all!

I've looked at the Honeywell evohome, but its seems you would need to install its TVR's for it to function efficiently, as mines a new build I already have TVR's, and don't want to waste money at this stage replacing them. Also it seems you have to be quite strict on closing off rooms for it to function efficiently.

I'm not looking to be that efficient, just want something that can adjust to our life style, something easy to operate, weather compensation, and turn it on off when we're out.

How old is the boiler and what make is it?

Most manufacturers have controls packages that can upgrade the boiler to weather compensation/load compensation. Then you needn't worry about Nest or Hive as it's done for you with the manufacturers controls and it will save some £££.

How old is the boiler and what make is it?

Most manufacturers have controls packages that can upgrade the boiler to weather compensation/load compensation. Then you needn't worry about Nest or Hive as it's done for you with the manufacturers controls and it will save some £££.

Haven’t looked at that. It’s a brand new boiler, can’t remember the make. Just keen to get rid of the ---- danfoss stuff.

The plumb centre bdr91 I think would be fine for you. I find placed in the hall on the table it gives good temps throughout and it’s what most plumbers I know Supply for fitting to their boilers.

I have the Honeywell version but its only a few extras thrown in that people don’t use.

If you don’t want smartphone control then it’s what I’d buy.

I have little experience of the hive, but the nest continues to operate perfectly well without broadband or the connection to the server. I wouldn't put it past the hive to stop working though, after all it is. A British grasp product.

As an aside davesparks, I understand you are a Nest installer. I was thinking of getting a Nest doorbell. Seems it needs a 12-24V AC supply? My current bell transformer is 8V, so I need a new one. Do Nest actually recommend a transformer, as everyone seems to making their own transformer & casing up. Mine can't be located in the CU, has to be on show in hall.

I'm just tagging this onto this thread, my own experience of fitting a Netatmo smart thermostat.

BTW, I am a registered Netatmo Pro installer, listed on their website and have the beanie hat and van stickers to prove it!

Customer contacts me to have Netatmo fitted... got my name off the website, so that's great. However, never fitted one before... cant be that difficult.

I got the thermostat from the wholesalers weeks ago.... familiarised myself with the product and read the paperwork cover to cover. - Didn't want to appear inexperienced in front of new customer.

Wired it in place of existing wireless thermostat... nice and easy to connect up... but the fixing screws are a bit soft - twisted one head off, had to use my own.

This is where the instructions let the product down. They say "press the button on the relay until you see a blue glowing light"
Ok.... but what they don't say is that as soon as you power it up, there's a blue flashing light.
I phoned their installer hotline for advice and left a message.

What it should say is "press and hold until you see a slowly flashing light"

So apart from that little hiccup, relay, thermostat and customers phone all speaking to each other.

Happy customer.

Still waiting for hotline to call me back.... 5 hours later

Reply to Smart Thermostat Recomendation in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock