Discuss Smartphone problem. Black screen in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Anybody any good with android phones?
My daughters has stopped working.
You can turn it on/off but the screen is just black. There is a vibration during this to show something is happening.
It’s a Samsung A40, and I think there was water involved. She doesn’t know how much. (It arrived home in a bag of rice!)

I’ve tried a couple of computer apps to try and see the phone contents with my pc, but not successful.

She has already bought a new phone, but she wants her photos off the old one.

When you plug the phone into the computer does the computer recognize it ( do you get that notification sound from the pc)
Usually you have to select Mass storage on the phone once plugged in to PC, to put the phone in the right mode for file transfer.

Well, one of the apps I used recognised it was a Samsung plugged in, but the pc doesn’t come up with any notification that some device has been plugged in.

The phone is stuck on black screen... I can’t set it to file transfer mode.

Im taking it to a repair shop, I’m thinking it needs a new screen, but hoping water hasn’t ruined it completely

Just a thought - there isn't an SD card in there that you can take out is there?

Good luck with it. I've been lucky. In the past, I put a phone through the washing machine, i think that was the same issue black screen etc.
I left it in the airing cupboard and forgot about it. A month later it did actually start up but the microphone never worked properly.

She took out the sim and SD card but not everything is on it.
I’ve tried power + volume down buttons together and get a longer vibration.
I really think it’s a screen problem, will see how much a shop repair is. Local guy is pretty good price wise

pffft.
90 quid for a new screen, plus time.

anyone want to buy a bricked Samsung A40? One not very careful owner.

I'll keep trying. maybe its not dried out enough yet. Its now sitting on top of the boiler.

Definitely worth keeping it drying a bit more.

New screen is around £65 on ebay. Fancy your chances? If not I'll take it off your hands for £5 and any 'interesting' photos will be sold back for a small fee ;)

Anybody any good with android phones?
My daughters has stopped working.
You can turn it on/off but the screen is just black. There is a vibration during this to show something is happening.
It’s a Samsung A40, and I think there was water involved. She doesn’t know how much. (It arrived home in a bag of rice!)

I’ve tried a couple of computer apps to try and see the phone contents with my pc, but not successful.

She has already bought a new phone, but she wants her photos off the old one.

We meet again @littlespark

Its a common problem it usually happens when the phone is dropped - what happens is the screen ribbon connector comes loose from the slot on the motherboard it just needs pushed back in
10-15 min job at most!

Check youtube there are loads of vids showing how to do it its not hard!
Unless its an Iphone lol

Hello again.
This is the same daughter with the i5 laptop.
She lost her Samsung A40 in a nightclub then found it in the toilets. God knows what happened.
She bought a refurbed or opened box off eBay as a replacement... but I’ve still got her broken one.
I’ll try and prise the screen off sometime.

Hello again.
This is the same daughter with the i5 laptop.
She lost her Samsung A40 in a nightclub then found it in the toilets. God knows what happened.
She bought a refurbed or opened box off eBay as a replacement... but I’ve still got her broken one.
I’ll try and prise the screen off sometime.

Nah you need a heat gun to get the screens off these days same with tablets it can be a bit of a nightmare

I take it you are a Sparky then?

Any good with E7 electricity meters - I might need some advice?

Any good with E7 electricity meters - I might need some advice?
Have you started a new thread on the main forum? You’ll get a wide range of answers.

Ask away, this is my thread so I don’t mind it going sideways.
Add a few photos of your metering set up will help.

Have you started a new thread on the main forum? You’ll get a wide range of answers.

ok

Got a Scottish Power Comfortplus setup white meter.
You know the deal Horstmann Series K Telemeter doing the storage heaters at night.
Hot water and ring mains on the Rate 1 and 2 Day Night
Locked into Scottish Power of couirse due to the tariff and meter!

So checked out the current pricing and we are paying more for white meter control rate than the night rate so decided its time for an E7

I believe that will release me from Scottish Powers hold and I can then switch to Bulb or the Co-Op who have cheaper tariffs

Due to the crazy problems I have had with SP - Wait for it...
The telemeter failed and although leccie was still getting through the digital display did not advance and wait for it....It took Scottish Power 4+ years to replace the meter and in that time i reckon i had about £10,000+ of free leccie

The meter failed again a few weeks ago after less than 2 years and wait for it....Scottish power had no replacement meters so they had to stick in some older meters but 3 of them instead of the one Horstmann Series K Telemeter

The upshot is i want rid of SP and this is the only way.

The problem is I have heard that some E7 meters can be installed but will not have the White meter storage heaters setup for a control clock as this is what will be required if it is to be timed for night heating. Not that I am bothered as i do it all manually anyway but have heard some horror stories so my question is:-

Are there different type of E7 meters with extra connections for the white meter heaters as well as the boiler hot water and of course ring main?

I need to know as the guys are coming to rip out the pony and trap they stuck in a few weeks ago and i want to be clued up before they arrive - always be prepared is my motto!

Thankfully Scottish Power are doing it for nothing becasue they l;eft us without leccie for 7 days until they got theior act together and arranged the replacement for the Horstmann - we are on the Special Needs Priority list as well and 7 days without leccie - for real!!!

Yes, I know SP have there own version of “off peak” and can have 3 tariff times per day.
I believe regular off peak for storage heaters... a cheap 24 hour supply for panel heaters and another for immersion.
By changing supplier, you may lose the panel heater cheaper rate, although saving on your non heating power.

You need to speak to the suppliers and see what they suggest, but a straight swap won’t be possible. They may suggest what can be done to your distribution boards to reconfigure them to suit their tariffs

Yes, I know SP have there own version of “off peak” and can have 3 tariff times per day.
I believe regular off peak for storage heaters... a cheap 24 hour supply for panel heaters and another for immersion.
By changing supplier, you may lose the panel heater cheaper rate, although saving on your non heating power.

You need to speak to the suppliers and see what they suggest, but a straight swap won’t be possible. They may suggest what can be done to your distribution boards to reconfigure them to suit their tariffs

The panel heater (CONTROL RATE) is more expensive than the night rate!
Day0.22059
Night0.11392
Control0.14341
Standing Charge0.26800
The way i understand it is the e7 everything will be on day rate - immersion, ring main, storage heaters and then when 11:30pm comes everything just switches to the night rate unless i am mistaken - the only thing that needs added is a timer to make sure the storage heaters only are on during the night?

The problem as afsar as i have ascertained is that the output to the storage heaters will need wired into an e7 meter with 2 stage outputs and some only have one so might have to be jerry rigged with some sort of electrical splitter block to fit it all into the one output on the e7?

Have i got this wrong?

The leccie who came out says that once i get an e7 i can transfer to bulb easily so did the helpdesk guy from Scottish Power - the junior sparkie was with another guy who was a 40 year veteran supervisor as he was doing some sort of checking the sparkies work as he was a newb and he said the same thing just get a non Horstmann and all will be well!
????????
[automerge]1576434787[/automerge]

PS. I would rather just talk to you i dont want to get trolled or the usual one upmanship crap
I help you you help me thats the way it should be!

Fair exchange of talents - you are the expert spark i am the IT and electronics guy!

Attachments

• Smartphone problem. Black screen Flat_Horstmann_E7_Boiler_Control - EletriciansForums.net
    Flat_Horstmann_E7_Boiler_Control.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Smartphone problem. Black screen Scottish_Power_Meter (1) - EletriciansForums.net
    Scottish_Power_Meter (1).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
You're making me blush now.

The Hortsmann Quartz if I recall simply has a supply and a load cable. Basically a replacement for a double pole switch. Although i think some are wired for 2 immersion heaters? The off peak one and the boost. Having 2 supplies and 2 loads (the off peak heater is situated near the bottom of the cylinder and is on all night with cheap tariff, the boost is in the cylinder higher up and only heats the top half of the water)

Because the full 3kW load of the immersion is passing through this controller, they do suffer from premature failure, but are fairly cheap and easy to still source.

Generically, we would use Henley blocks to split a main supply cable to feed 2 distribution boards. (other brands are available)
Do you have an isolator fitted between the meters and the dis boards? If an electrician has to change a board, were not allowed to pull the main fuse. (search the forum for seal fairies)

You mention a ring circuit? Is this how the panel heaters are wired? Normally its a radial... one circuit breaker for each heater, same as storage heaters.

If you've got funds available, the new generation of electric heaters such as Rointe, or Haverland are something to think about. Supposedly much more efficient than older heaters to the point that off peak supplies are not needed. Only one tariff, as they are reputedly cheap to run.

Not that ive installed many, but there are electric boilers that heat a wet radiator system, like a gas boiler, and air source or ground source heating. (not fitted any of them yet)

Personally, I find that anyone that changes their electricity supplier because of being promised a cheaper rate, quickly realises that they are no better off financially. So do your homework before leaving SP

Reply to Smartphone problem. Black screen in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock