Discuss Smoke alarm 3rd core, WHY ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jamestaylorchat

Hello fellow sparks, how are we ?

I am slightly embarrassed about asking this but here goes,

I have never realy understood why you need a 3rd core when wiring smokes, live, neutal and earth i get, but why do you need a switch wire exactly,

what is its job ?

the third core is the switched link to other smokes, when one smoke rings the interconnect or third wire sends a signal to the others on the circuit, Happy friday by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

haha 3 replies whilst I replied, we are quick tonight guys.

I thought that was it but wasent sure.

Now why the trhird core when wiring a fan switch from a bathroom switch ?

Switched live, neutral and permanent live to supply timer.

I just drew out a simple oneway bathroom switch with a fan switch being feed of it.

Common = per live
L1= SW Live
L2=fan switch 3rd core

Switch switched, current goes down L2 and runs fan for however long the time is set for,

correct ?

Smoke alarm 3rd core, WHY ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
yup absolutely love Friday's here

No......you need to go from the switch to a TP fan isolator then the fan.

Common - perm live at fan isolator (brown)
S/L - S/L at fan isolator (black....remember to sleeve)
Neutral - Neutral (gray......remember to sleeve)

Then wire from the isolator to the fan!

Failing that......rtfm.....or call a professional spark

HEY HEY HEY !!!!

Settle down Lads, there is all man and all sparks right here :)

Give me a bit of trunking or conduit and watch me go, but when it comes to wiring, i strugle,

I've never really seen the point in putting triple pole isolators in for fans. If you need to 'perform maintenance' on something you generally isolate the circuit it is on, so why are fans different?

The half-witted ape who built and wired my bathroom (it wasn't me, before you ask) didn't put in a TPI for the fan, so when I changed it for one that worked I just isolated the lighting circuit. Easy.

I've never really seen the point in putting triple pole isolators in for fans. If you need to 'perform maintenance' on something you generally isolate the circuit it is on, so why are fans different?

The half-witted ape who built and wired my bathroom (it wasn't me, before you ask) didn't put in a TPI for the fan, so when I changed it for one that worked I just isolated the lighting circuit. Easy.

it simply removes the inconveniences that can arise from isolating an entire lighting circuit. i always fit fan isolators - love 'em.

A lot of people opt for TP isolators, if the bath/shower room or even toilet has no natural light.
That way work can be conducted with the light on and without having to use a torch.

Reply to Smoke alarm 3rd core, WHY ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock