Discuss Smoke alarm in loft but not a loft in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Full rewire job....

Full rewire on fully refurbished and decorated property... Loft has been converted to a room but not heated but is no way classed as a habitble room as building control have clearly stated due to numerous reasons including height being about 5ft at the highest point and the access is glorified ladders and u values etc to name a few...

My questions are

1. do I need a smoke alarm up there?

2. If I don't need one would you still put one up there?

I know the regs states every floor but technically it's not a floor as it isn't classed as a habitable room but no saying someone won't put a bed up there... the access is from within another bedroom on the 1st floor so kind of a storage off the room... I think I should put one up there but access is a pain due to this being decided AFTER the re furb

Thanks

You know the household will use it for more than just storage, and it’s not a bad idea to put a smoke up there even if it is just storage.

As it isn’t actual habitable, in the eyes of the BC, won’t be part of the system that needs to be interlinked To be honest, a £5 supermarket smoke detector could be used.

Better than nothing.

However, I’d push for a 10yr battery, radio alarm and add a radio module to one of the wired detectors.

but access is a pain due to this being decided AFTER the re furb
Always the way! For some reason they never think of this before they get the plasterers in!

Don't have the guide to hand, but I seem to remember that one of the higher levels of protection does actually include an alarm in the loft, even when its not a room. That's not something that is usually the required level in a domestic property though.

The question is really what the building inspector requires, as they seem to vary - so worth seeing if you can get clarification from them.

The minimum I think I'd do is a 10 year sealed battery one.... With maybe a wireless battery interlinked one if the budget allows.

Thanks everyone I ended up putting in a hard wired just to be sure managed with very minimal damage actually... rather lucky fish and yea they didn't think about it until after plastered decorated and carpeted oh and tiled floor in bathroom and laminate in kitchen and dinng room... WHY NOT EY!!!!

Also as a side note... the building inspector said all is fine as the electrics "weren't touched" and signed it off.... this all came after the entire job was completed and issues, lights not working sockets etc upon EICR found sooooooo many faults re wire was the only option... the kitchen had 1 dual socket above the hob fed off the cooker socket in 1mm the fused spur for ex fan spurred off in 1mm oven fed off in 1mm and the ceramic hob fed off in 1mm!!!!!! The other lad has a better picture so will try add tomorrow but you get the idea ? oh and the 30amp bs3036 had 2.5mm copper wire in it.... but yea not dangerous in any way ??

Attachments

• 20210422_090914.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 8

Reply to Smoke alarm in loft but not a loft in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net