Discuss Smoke alarm set up.... in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Chaps....

Just been going through some plans for a loft conversion. Standard sort of size 3 bed property (4 with loft conversion)

And they've specified x 9 smokes throughout - everywhere apart from kitchen ! and 2 x bathrooms.

Not sure what to make of that really, bit excessive maybe ? Not complaining as more work for me and good as a safety point of view, but why not have a heat in the kitchen ? If I get the job will definitely bring that to their attention

Thoughts please,

Sy

i dont mean to be prudish but would it not be better to advise the client on what is actually required? maybe charge a little bit more per point say 80 quid? those detectors can be wild expensive! ;-)

Just a thought here....what kind of an area is the house in question: near any colleges or uni`s perhaps. Could be for the rental market which would explain all the smokes dotted around........

Just a thought here....what kind of an area is the house in question: near any colleges or uni`s perhaps. Could be for the rental market which would explain all the smokes dotted around........

Not sure on that, fair point though..... ?

Having slept on this, now think it would be quite a good idea if I suggest to them that it is possibly overkill.

Therefore saving them a few quid and maybe it would give me a better chance of winning the job (good earner with potentially more work to come from the builder, who sent me the plans in the first place) - every ones happy

Hi Sythai,

I would suggest they do consider a heat alarm in the kitchen and as you say it does sound like a biot of an overkill on the smoke alarms.

You can contact the various manufacturers who will be pleased to help you and should give you a true picture. It is also worth checking with building control becuase they will look at it to see if it complies with the building regs. I think it is part B which is applicable and there is also BS5839 part 6 which is a code of practice for the design, installation of fire systems in domestic dwellings. I beleive the minimum I would want to see in this property is to LD2 (protection in the escape routes and specified areas)
There is also a new loft conversion guide out (2010) by the PCA? which does have a section on fire safety in it.

Personally I would flag this up in writing to the customer so at least if later you win the job and have to install as their instructions you have at least tried to help them and the comeback isnt 'yours'.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Rex

sounds like somebodys went mental with the autocad. definitely a heat required in the kitchen and none in the bathrooms

Explain to em they really should have a heat in the kitchen.....unless they want false alarms galore.....

Hi Sythai,

I would suggest they do consider a heat alarm in the kitchen and as you say it does sound like a biot of an overkill on the smoke alarms.

You can contact the various manufacturers who will be pleased to help you and should give you a true picture. It is also worth checking with building control becuase they will look at it to see if it complies with the building regs. I think it is part B which is applicable and there is also BS5839 part 6 which is a code of practice for the design, installation of fire systems in domestic dwellings. I beleive the minimum I would want to see in this property is to LD2 (protection in the escape routes and specified areas)
There is also a new loft conversion guide out (2010) by the PCA? which does have a section on fire safety in it.

Personally I would flag this up in writing to the customer so at least if later you win the job and have to install as their instructions you have at least tried to help them and the comeback isnt 'yours'.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Rex

Heat alarms in kitchens are only required if the kitchen isn't separated from circulation areas by a door (page 122 Electricians Guide to Building regs)

Hi Chaps....

Just been going through some plans for a loft conversion. Standard sort of size 3 bed property (4 with loft conversion)

And they've specified x 9 smokes throughout - everywhere apart from kitchen ! and 2 x bathrooms.

Not sure what to make of that really, bit excessive maybe ? Not complaining as more work for me and good as a safety point of view, but why not have a heat in the kitchen ? If I get the job will definitely bring that to their attention

Thoughts please,

Sy

Just found why - they don't want fire doors fitted everywhere, so to get around this is the reason why so many smokes have been specified

but bloody stupid to fit in bathrooms. the PCBs will corrode in 12 months or less.

Hi Glennspark,

That sounds like a good idea. the hallway and landing to protect the escape routes as a minimum level of protection.
The bathroom is an environment which would not beeasy for a smoke alarm to operate in.
Best wishes
Rex

Reply to Smoke alarm set up.... in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net