Discuss Smoke alarm upgrade in Flat in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kev2b4

My sister-in law is in a part ownership flat , currently the flats have their own battery smoke alarms.
The landlords wish to install a mains powered smoke detector system into each flat (wired back to central panel) in order to bring the flats up to current standards.
My question is does this have to be done ( costs to be charged to the residents)? the flats are not a new build but are approx 10 years old
Are the current requirements/standards retrospective? As if not then she does not have to agree to it being done.

The Landlords started off by saying
1/ intumescent strips for flat front doors
2/intumescent letter box
3/smoke alarms back to central panel
4/new fire doors in communal areas
all to be paid for by residents ( except the council ones, is a warden controlled block, with a mixture of private(part/wholly owned) and council)
They have since backed off on 1,2 above.
But am of the opinion that if the landlords want to upgrade then they can do that at their cost, BUT NOT to the privately owned flats without the occupants consent-
landlords are leaning on the private owners , most of which are elderly , some classed as 'vulnerable'
(Landlords are a Housing Association) one wonders if they want to upgrade the building prior to selling the block

If its part ownership then it depends on what your sister/the housing association actually own.
You say a system wired back to a central panel. Are you sure they are installing 230v detectors (powered from the landlords board i assume) or a proper fire alarm system with a fire panel by the main entrance?

90% of my work is alarms in residential places for housing associations (in fact, if you tell me the housing association, i may be able to tell you what their plans are seeing as you are quite close to me) and they will normally do the bare minimum. The size of the building is a big factor here as to what type of system they want to use but normally either way, the landlord of the building should be paying. You have no obligation to have any detectors in your own home however if you live in a block of flats like you describe, the landlords have a duty of care to protect the residents and that includes against fires from other flats.

The landlord is required to fit a fire alarm system to cover staircases and landing areas only. It is not acceptable to install detection in the flats themselves...standard solo mains detection should be fitted in the dwellings. and not interlinked in anyway to the main fire alarm. If the building is classed as high rised, with over 100 occupants, then a fire alarm system is deemed as not required.

Reply to Smoke alarm upgrade in Flat in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net